cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Aew1031

Day One again

Quit again today. Feeling pretty subdued. 

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back!

Glad you are here! I would strongly recommend that you do the recommended reading if you didn't do it last time, and get your list of distracting activities up-to-date.  This takes effort in the early days - plan to give it the time it takes and work at it.

I know you can do this......don't allow "reasons" to become "excuses."

Write  a "HELP" blog before you smoke again - and always know there is no such thing as "just one" to an addict.

Nancy

Aew1031

Thanks Nancy. Am reading up a storm. There almost isnt enough for me to read about others experiences. What I am reading is helping me through the day. Having things to do isn’t a problem for me. I read, paint, knit, exercise. My problem is when a time out is needed I secretly smoke. Luckily my smoking spot on our porch has been demolished and is becoming part of our kitchen space. So I no longer have a “secret” area to escape to. Need to read others HELP blogs and stay connect. NO ONE I KNOW SMOKES so can’t talk with anyone about it.  Do you have some blogs you recommend? Appreciate your continued time and attention. 

Amy 

0 Kudos
Mommamich

Amy,

Those are my worse times as well. Morning and evening. Mornings I find it easier if I take a slow walk with my coffee. Evenings I'm trying to do yoga. Now that's a horrible visual but it does help.  I think at times it's hard not having a call buddy but like you I'm flying solo and doing the best I can. I've also put candy dishes all over the place filled with hard candy. My teeth may rot out but I'm not smoking. LOL.

Aew1031

Mommamich your post was extremely helpful. Will change to tea for a while and take a slow walk with the dog. I’m very active so DOING in the morning, even before exercise class is great. I used to smoke on the way to exercise class. Nutty I know. I’ve struggled with buying hard candy (bought Jolly Ranchers sugar free - pretty gross) but think am going to have to give in. Haven’t found any I love yet. Sometimes before bed I just want that oral satisfaction but wish I didn’t need it. Look forward to more of your posts. Thanks again. 

Amy

Mommamich

I was the same, exercise class was my break. I smoked before and after.  I think I would have smoked during cardio if I could.  I hate Jolly Ranchers but love cinnamon candy.  I just buy the cheap stuff since I go through so much.  Probably should own stock in the company at this point.  It's all about small steps, one craving at a time.  I also found popcorn helps in the evening while I sit and watch T.V.  Not sure if that would help but found it better than gum.  Just don't do the ones with a ton of butter. Good Luck and I know you will find what works for you.  It took me a few different options so don't give up.  

0 Kudos
elvan

Mommamich and Aew1031 I loved Sour Patch Kids...they are so sour, I could just put one in my mouth and it would completely distract me...oh, I used to get out of the pool during my workout so I could take a smoke break.  I am seriously embarrassed to say that but it's true.

Ellen

Strudel

Welcome back! One of my favorites when I first came here, was James, the happy quitter! Check out - james41 - click on "Content" and then sort from "oldest to newest" to see his early blogs and follow his journey. Also, from home page, check out "Best of EX" - lots of good stuff there! Stay close! Congrats! 

elvan

The education, support, and commitment will get you through whatever you need to get through...one day at a time, sometimes one MOMENT at a time.  We all started at the beginning and we all want you to succeed.

Welcome back,

Ellen

Gnoble

Glad to have you here! I live on these pages, as I am 10 DOF in the process! The supportive group here has been there, done that, we don't judge, we relate and support. I was told cinnamon is a great choice when a craving hits, a quick blast for your senses. I have mints, gum, toothpaste, mouth wash on hand, at all times. Car, purse, job (I don't particularly like cinnamon, but it does the job).. YES you can do this!!! Ger-Lyn 10 DOF