cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandolinrain

Three Gardening Questions

1. We have a large creek bed to the North side of house. Some of it is more like a ravine. It does come up and meets the end of the mowed yard and theres extensive weeds between the yard and the creek. Since you can't spray for weed control due to EPA and hazards to wildlife I am looking for a way to  find something to plant on the edge. I may try to take a picture and post it later this evening on this post so you can see what I am taking about. its kinda an eyesore and some of the weeds at 4-5 ft. tall. We don't want to put trees on the edge because we love the view of woods on other side

2. Our planting zone is 6a. I am curious to get suggestions for fall garden plants to put in. I have always planted my garlic in October but are there some other things I could plant this late?

3. On the SW side I have a garden shed area and it is pretty much total shade. I have blue hosts there but now that we have extended the driveway, we have another area near it....all shade , that hubby put all this fill dirt around and I don't want to do grass there. Wondering if any suggestions of some sort of fast growing ground cover? I started 3 packasandra plants and I have no clue if I spelled that right, lol. I am thinking about digging up some ferns from our woods over . But I would like a mix of ideas, please

Have the twins today, so I will check in later and see if anyone has any ideas. I will also post a couple pics later of the areas I am talking about. Thanks ahead of time , gonna be a hot one here today. Near 90 . Staying inside with girls and AC

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mandolinrain

I just ran out and took the pics

58E9F25B-6831-46FF-B172-A06D78F8FF59.jpegThis is garden shed area and next pic is creek bed area

FF0F7560-31EF-4140-92E8-3A09471E58FF.jpeg

0 Kudos
SaraCorinne

I don't know what to tell you to plant but my husband uses vinegar to kill weeds on our gravel driveway and the cracks in the sidewalk.  It's safe for the environment BUT will kill everything SO keep it away from anything you don't want dead!    

Mandolinrain

Thanks, I may try that!

YoungAtHeart

I would pull out as many weeds along the ravine as you can, and put some large rocks in between the plants to prevent erosion. I have an evergreen spruce/like groundcover that I like - don't remember it's name.  It spreads relatively fast.  I have about five  varieties of ferns in my woodland garden - check online for hardy varieties.    Be careful getting them out of the woods if you are allergic to Poison Ivy or Oak - the roots are also poisonous!!  I do not recommend Vinca - it covers everything in its path and is VERY invasive ditto ground ivy!!!     I LOVE my pachysandra.  It was here when I bought this house under all the shrubs 3/4 around the house. It keeps the weeds pretty much out, and spreads fairly quickly.  It will grow most anywhere.  You will need flats of that, not just a few plants.  It's not very expensive.   For perennial shade, I also like Lenten roses - Hellebore. They have a variety of color blooms and come out REALLY early in the spring.  The foliage stays mounded and pretty all summer.  You might also plant some azaleas as a backdrop  - they do well in shade.  Sorry this is so disorganized.....train of thought isn't a straight line!!! I will add more as I think of it.

Mandolinrain

I copied and pasted your reply into my garden notes so I can look it over. THANKS! And I never knew wood ferns had poisonous roots...I have transplanted them before and never had any problems....but now I will be even more careful!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

The fern roots aren't the problem - but any poison growing ANYWHERE in the vicinity can have roots near/under/around them.  I only know because I have had two friends get the awful stuff when there was none visible above ground.  Wear gloves/long sleeves....then peal them off (and pants, too) and put right in the washer with hot water.  Wash arms and hands with yellow soap!

Posamari

I moved here to California 6 yrs ago from Wooster, where I lived for 16 years. So am familiar with your zone. For shade/parts shade -- hosta and most definitely ferns. Ferns THRIVE there. Astilbe will do well too and Coralbells and Columbine. All perennials. Don't forget annual Impatien for color. 

Good ground covers are Pacasandra, Bishop weed-- fast growing but can be invasive, Myrtle (some refer to it as Periwinkle too), and small Sedums, there are so many, I was successful with Golden Sedum.

Daylilies are always a safe bet in sunny areas. So is Monarda (Bee Balm) for sunny locales.

I grow a lot of herbs. They're nice to inter-plant amongst other things. A border can be made by planting curly parsley in sunny area. It does awesome there!! Only problem I had was groundhogs liked it too. 

If you can get a couple packs of Forget-Me-Not seed and scatter, it makes a nice spring welcoming, although they usually bloom every 2 years but are self seeding. 

Good luck!

Mandolinrain

Lots of super ideas, thank you! copy and pasted for further reminders:)

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Monarda needs sun - but it is a HUGE hummingbird draw.  You will almost never look on them and not see at least one.  I had a whole center of a flower bed filled with them - but this winter, they died off.  Very sad!!!!

0 Kudos