Giulia

Words you never want to hear and the Wisdom to prevent them.

Discussion created by Giulia Champion on Aug 10, 2011

..."I slipped..."

August 8, 2011 by Julia Amy  

Send a message   Add friend   View Julia Amy's Blog

Seems so innocuous a statement, doesn't it?  We all fall down in life, right?  But as a "serial quitter" myself, I cringe every time I see it written here.  After reading it so many times, I realize why; slipping is not without adverse consequences.  It doesn't have to be fatal, its true, however I suspect it often is.  How many times do you suppose the average person who dies from the affects of smoking had quit but then "slipped" into smoking him/herself to death?  But even if that (dear God please) is not the case, when people slip they've just made the addiction a tiny bit harder to fight, they've reinforced it's strength and undermined their own self-esteem and belief in themselves. My first attempt was 20 yrs ago.  I smoked 17 extra years after not smoking for a year 3 different times. Each time, I merely slipped mind you.  Who quits smoking and then says: "I'm going to smoke a pack a day again now"?  Isn't it always "just one....just for today, just for this party, just for now...." ?  You really want to roll the dice on whether or not you'll really quit in time?  Every time you slip you make it harder for a "forever quit" to happen. Or let's be adults, worse, much worse.  This is serious business, don't trivialize it .  Don't allow the addict inside minimize it, see it for what it is, a dangerous gamble.

Outcomes