cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

King1961

Anxiety worsening

Hi, I’m brand new to this group. I have finally quit! It’s been 2 months. I had no choice. asthma and copd, made it critical. The bonus, I can breathe again, no more puffers, nebulizers, nothing. I still get short winded during activity, but I’m 57 and overweight. Here’s my issue. I have a history with depression and anxiety. Following my last episode, 2 years ago, I’m still healing and can’t seem to shake either one, but greatly improved, I could function, and felt good at times. Sleep was good, appetite good, just gloomy, quiet and a little depressed. My anxiety was mainly in the morning and kind of managable. I do not work. Early retirement, but I have a small lawn business, about 15 accounts that keep me busy during spring, summer and fall. Winter stinks, although I do volunteer work to keep busy. Fast forward to July 8! Last cigarette. First couple weeks, easy, 21 mg patch, no major issues. Third week in, began waking around 6:30 with butterflies. Normally sleep till 10. Only sleep 8 to 10 a night. Now two weeks into 14 mg patch, my butterflies are intense and I am unable to fall back into a deep sleep. I don’t like it mostly because it makes my mind think I’m headed back to a major depression with anxiety. Scared, to say the least. I take a low dose of both anti depressant and anxiety med for 2 years now. Seemed to keep me going, or at least not doomed. I’m hoping like heck, it’s all part of the withdrawal and will pass. If I was certain of that, I’d be more willing to accept it and feel better about it not being headed for disaster. Thank you for reading all this, maybe I wrote too much, but wanted all the background to be considered into any replies. I have a call into shrink, and am extending 14mg patch 2 weeks to try and level off before step down to 7. Smoking is not an option, never will be. Done for life. Thanks! 

13 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS IN NON SMOKER LIVING-GOOD JOB! EXCELLENT SELF CARE CALL TO YOUR SHRINK AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR PERSONAL RECOVERY STORY WITH ME-TERRIFIC JOB HEALTHY PLANS FOR YOUR NEW BODY GETTING HEALTHIER N HEALTHIER! 

elvan

Welcome to EX...I suspect you might need an adjustment in your medications especially since you have been on the same dose for a while.  I think you are doing great...you might want to remove the patch at night and replace it first thing in the morning if you are not already doing that.  The patch can cause pretty vivid dreams, from what I hear.  I am so glad to hear you say that smoking is not an option.  To deal with your depression and your anxiety, I am a HUGE proponent of exercise.  I have pretty severe COPD, lost half of both lungs because of it and I am pretty consistently short of breath but I use an outdoor pool to exercise in the summer and a stationary bike and free weights when the weather changes.  It helps with depression and anxiety both...some days, I get pretty short of breath but I slow down, the damage I did is not going to go away.  I rarely need to use the nebulizer, I am on two inhalers every morning and a rescue inhaler that I use pretty regularly, unfortunately.  I keep my weight under control, I am almost 69 and I smoked for 47 years.  

I think contacting your doctor is the first step...see if meds can be adjusted and take care of yourself, stay very close to this site, education, support, and commitment are going to get you through this.  Congratulations on your beautiful quit.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

A lot of us self-medicated with nicotine when we smoked.  Best to have a talk with your doctor now that you aren't putting that in your body.....your medications may need to be adjusted or even changed.

Congratulations on TWO months - that is HUGE!

Nancy

King1961

Thank you. 

Brent1956

5 years ago, I tried patches, same symptoms, they are wicked, at least to me. I decided 45 days ago, I would do it "Cold Turkey" I figured why use a NRT, cause your just prolonging the agony of later than sooner facing the NICODEMON ! 

Either way my friend, I wish you great sucess! and I hope you feel much, much better!

elvan

Brent1956‌ Congratulations on 45 days of freedom...keep stacking those days and celebrating your freedom and your life!

Ellen

bookee6

Congrats on your quit and welcome.  This group will help you the most.  I never really had aniety and depression until i quit smoking.  Boy what that nicotine does to you, it hides a lot.  I spoke to a doctor and she said give it time it will go a way or will not be as bad as it was when i quit.  My primary did put me on anti depression but I am starting to get off of them.  Your body and brain are going through such a battle that it will send you a little batty.  Adjusting your meds will definately help.  Also try to relax as much as you can.  Never was a big fan of meditation but it did get me through some rough times.  I am so happy you quit you will start to feel better every day.

Stay with this group I am not on the sight as much as when i started my quit, everyone has given me the strength to move forward in live smoke free, but I do check in and read if i need a little pick me up.

SaraPeach

Smoking has actually been shown to worsen anxiety and depression. I know personally smoking made my anxiety 10 times worse and it made me depressed, unmotivated and lazy. Do you exercise or could you start? That's the number one thing that has helped my anxiety. Might be something to try. Meditation also helped me a lot when I was doing it consistently several times a week. I was skeptical but it really does work, even just doing a short 10-minute guided YouTube video 3-4 times a week made me calmer, more focused at work and gave me more joy.

SaraPeach

Are you still on the patch? You're probably having anxiety due to nicotine withdrawal. Cold turkey is the way to go, in my opinion. I recommend doing some reading at whyquit.com. Congrats on 2 months, btw!