cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Loricon

Scared to Quit?

How many of you were scared to quit?

Tomorrow is my quit day 08/31/18 and I am feeling scared yet again.  Not so much of failing again but of not having the gumption to finally put these cigs down.  I am going to try and pray that I am successful because my desire is there but still I have fear.  Just wanted to put it our there.

20 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Most of us have experienced some level of fear.  My fear was of failure until I got started on day one.  After that I had no fear.  There are many blogs on the subject.  Use the magnifying glass and type fear and read what others have said and done about fear. 

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

How much FEAR do you think you'll feel when you have trouble breathing...?

How much FEAR do you think you'll feel when your diagnosed with lung disease...?

How much FEAR do you think you'll feel when there is NO turning back, and quitting will NOT be an option...?

How badly do you want to live "Happily Ever After"..........

Miles of Smiles Friend.......YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

karenjones

You are absolutely right. Absolutely. many people are not sure what they should be afraid of. Afraid of quitting smoking, we should be afraid of not quitting smoking.  Winnie The Pooand piglet were walking to rabbits house during a huge wind storm, trees were falling and smashing to the ground. Piglet froze and looked at Winnie the Pooh and said "i just can't go on any longer, what would happen if a tree fell down on us. For a second Pooh was afraid, but only a second and replied to Piglet, what would happen if a tree did not fall when we were under it? it is more likely that the tree would not fall.  We always say what if the negative thing happens and we are afraid. Why not think of the positive thing? both are actually in the future, why not think of just now? 

Matthew 6:34
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof.
elvan

I suspect most of us were fearful..I know that I was.  I did not want to fail yet again, I had so many failed quits that I lost track and I hated the looks of disappointment on the faces of my family and friends.  I didn't TRY this time...I DID.  Unfortunately, I got so sick because I waited so long that I now live with the irreversible damage I have done to my lungs.  I am so sorry that it took me so long.  Remember that quitting is not an event, it is a journey and it is one day at a time, sometimes, it is one event at a time, one emotion at a time.  No matter what...smoking does nothing FOR you, it cannot fix anything, it contributes to stress, it does not FIX anything.  No crave ever killed anyone but no one can  say that about cigarettes...NO ONE.  It is NOT WORTH it to smoke.  Every puff does damage...I used the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever when I quit and I said it over and over and over again.  I also came to this site every morning and every evening and oftentimes, many times in between.   I read blogs, I commented, I asked for advice, I LISTENED to advice.  Clearly, these people knew something I did not and by God, I wanted to know what it was.  I have NEVER regretted quitting, not for one minute, I regret starting every single day.

Welcome to EX and your new life.

Ellen

karenjones

I wasn't fearful of quitting smoking.  I did have oral cancer and the doctor said 'you can keep on smoking, and if you do, this cancer will come back and it will kill you.'  I was scared of not quitting. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Education is the key to a successful quit:

Suggested readings:https://whyquit.com/FFN/chapters/FFN_01_Nicotine.pdf 

and  https://whyquit.com/FFN/chapters/FFN_00B_TOC.pdf 

Also another easy Read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking,

Read the blogs here.  read the articles and watch the videos My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

Learn how to navigate the site  Community Help‌  Take the Daily Pledge Daily Pledge

Stay close, hang tougher when times get tough, Learn your triggers and prepare for them.  Quitting smoking is doable. 

There comes a time when you must face any fear head on. Just say bring it on & weather the storm. You'll find like a lot of us have, that our fear was unfounded. There was really nothing to fear, only joy when we found that freedom. Read up & join in.

M n @ Signature 002-2.JPG

Sandy-9-17-17

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. 

MarilynH

You have made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and by quitting smoking you're giving yourself the best gift that you'll ever give yourself which is the gift of LIFE which I consider the one gift that'll keep on giving day after day week after week month after month and Lord willing year after year after year, stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can ,take your Day ONE tomorrow and turn it into DAY WON with many more to come you can do this quit believe it deep breaths and know that you can and will be successful ......

7c9dc1cfefa4613dc164942c3a17e630.jpg