cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gabsdad8

Quit today!

August 30, 2018

After 57 years of smoking, I quit today. I'm happy to be here!

5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

CONGRATULATIONS on your decision to quit and your first day!   I will provide some things that will help you to get through this by understanding what is happening as you move forward.  It isn't easy to quit  but it IS doable

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome to our crazy quit family, dad of gab.  Read much.  Keep a sense of humor about you.  We're glad you're here too.  Stick close.  It'll help.  We're a great cheerleading group we are.  

0 Kudos
shashort

Welcome to EX community. Congratulations on your decision to quit. Read, learn, read and learn and stay close to us. Holler for HELP in a blog if the cravings get tough before you smoke. Tell yourself you CAN do this and you CAN!  Reading, education and positive self talk will take you far.

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX...education, commitment, and support are your best friends.  You can do this...I am really happy for you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Sootie

Welcome----keep that positive attitude! this CAN be done.........difficult but doable. Support is here.....just reach out to the community anytime.

Stay Strong.

0 Kudos