cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jla61

Does cutting down help?

Just curious if anyone had an easier time cutting down the number of cigarettes smoked daily before actually quitting. 

This is my first my trying to quit and just curious if anyone had success with that route.  

17 Replies
GyorgyiM

In my opinion that is just "torture"......you are still feeding the nicotine receptors and the "withdrawal" process for that next cig is always going to be a craving. Everyone is unique to their quit and if you read up on some of the other articles and blogs here you can get a feel for what works for some and what doesn't...

Either way, pat yourself on the back, you are on your way to a wonderful "rest of your life"....

Miles of Smiles....

SoosannahK

For me, I can honestly say no. I have also tried this route many years ago using one of those phone apps to help you decrease the amount you smoke every day, and in the end, I ended up smoking more than I did before and deleting the app. While it may work for some, it didn't work at all for me. 

Good luck to you  You can do it. 

Barbscloud

Sorry to say, there's lots of disagreement on this topic.   That's what I did for a week this time on a very strict schedule that I didn't deviate from.  Along the with help of the Ex, I've been successful.

161 DOF

Mandolinrain

Hard no.

Every single time you take a drag off of a cigarette...you wake up the brains receptors lining you up for the next crave. It sets you up basically so it tells you when you need 'fed' again.

To tune off these 'receptors' you have to quit 'feeding' them. Unfortunately, the only way out is through.

beazel

It never worked for me, but that'a me. With commitment & educating yourself about this hideous addiction - you can quit.

No trying.

YoungAtHeart

It depends on how you go about it.  If you decide on a certain number for each day - then no - it's just torture as noted above.  If you just put each one you smoke off a little bit while you get busy, it will gradually reduce the number you are smoking.  See the difference? 

Nancy

Never_again

Never thought about it that way. However, I just could not quit that way. Seems that it would be harder.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

That exercise is not meant to end with zero.  It is simply to show you that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.  By getting busy instead of lighting up, you naturally reduce the number you smoke and reduce the nicotine going in.  When you get down to a lower number than you started out smoking before you quit, it is supposed to make it a bit easier.

Granted, I didn't follow this method - but it makes sense to me.  I had not found this site until four days into my quit, so I started out at a disadvantage.  I read Allen Carr when I landed here (it was quite an awakening to me for I had no idea about the physiological effects of nicotine addiction).  I read blogs by the hour, and soaked in all the experiences of others who had been successful.  I credit the education and support here for a large portion of my success.

That and my commitment share the credit for 6+ years quit!

Nancy

0 Kudos
marciem

In addition to what is said above, I for one say "No it doesn't help" and my multiple serial "quits" are proof of that.  Every single time I "tried" to quit, I logically said "If I cut down, I'm decreasing the harm and also decreasing the habit/dependency".  Well, I call BS on my own logic.  This quit was basically on a whim, and I relapsed after 26 hours but reset my ticker and stuck the course for almost six years now.

Another thing, cutting down makes each next cigarette that much more precious and that much more of a relief of  the withdrawal.  They say that appetite is the best sauce, for hunger.  Well (brief) abstinence is the best sauce for making a cigarette more satisfying.  It also sets cigarettes up as something to look forward to rather than something you want to get away from  (Your mind isn't saying "2 more hours until I HAVE to smoke one of those nasty things"... It is saying "Two long hours until I GET TO finally enjoy another cigarette".  Am I right?).

I'm sure there will be others to come along and say that cutting down is the only way they could do it.  And if they've quit long-term, they're right.

So whatever works for you is the best way to quit   .