cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jla61

Having rough time.

I knew my mom's place was going to really put me through the wringer. I'm trying to not have self pity. But if you guys knew what I have to go through . My mom is not normal my life is not normal. Everything is so dyfunctional. Tough first day

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TW517

I saw your post about being a caregiver to your mom and her boyfriend.  It does sound rough.  And more than most  people have to go through.  This is probably not much comfort now (the first few days of quitting are the hardest no matter what), but even though your situation is harder than most, please know that many have quit despite very difficult life situations.  We're all rooting for you!

Jla61

Thank you I'm trying. I'm crying and sweating. Truly hurts .

Jla61

Verbal arguments everyday here .I'm used to that part but not used to no crutch. I just can't have cigarettes anymore just got to keep saying that .I really do want to be free from smoking. What horrible addiction this is .

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Deep breaths and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can, you've pretty much made it through Day ONE so you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for Day WON, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with all of your struggles but you can and will be successful in your quit one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time just keep moving forward and stacking up your precious Days of Freedom and blog Help anytime at all and wait for a bit so we'll know and be able to respond.....

YoungAtHeart

The first few days of a quit are difficult - no argument there.  If you are in a difficult situation, it will be MORE difficult, I know.  But - can you maybe think about how, exactly, smoking will make any of this easier or better?  You can get that same hit of dopamine you got from a cigarette by marching in place, or going up and down the stairs a few times.  If you can get out for a walk, so much the better.  Do still take breaks and get yourself outside, even if only for a few minutes.  Inhale the air - and notice how fresh it feels.  After a few days of being quit, those deep breaths will get deeper and easier.  You will start to notice your sense of smell becoming more acute (Vicks under your nose might be required for yucky ones you would rather NOT smell!!!).

The crying and depression are normal withdrawal symptoms.  We hid our emotions behind that cloud of smoke - and we must start to actually FEEL them when we quit.  It can be overwhelming....but it is GOOD.  Things WILL level out.

Your mood WILL improve.  It WILL get easier.  You WILL be happy you did this - just get through these first weeks.

I promise you that you will be glad you quit ---- in time!

Hang in there!

Nancy

TW517

Yep.  What Nancy said, "It can be overwhelming....but it is GOOD".  Sounds crazy, but it's true.  It really does get better.  All of us here are living proof of it.

Jla61

Thank you everyone I really need your guys support and I appreciate it . It helps so much.  At least my mom has enough respect for me to go smoke outside. She needs to stop fighting with her boyfriend. Very stressful. But yes I can go outside and I have been . Didn't expect that flood of emotions though. I got stressed and couldn't smoke . I have to go to the store to go buy them so that's a lot of steps I have to take to smoke . 

YoungAtHeart

Do you have something you can do with that extra  down time?  Maybe a crossword or jigsaw puzzle, or an adult coloring book and crayons?  Do you knit or crochet (it's not too early to start thinking about holiday presents to make!).  You need to be prepared to keep yourself occupied to keep the smoking thoughts at bay.

Staying busy is REALLY important!

Jla61

I did pick up crocheting and did buy adult coloring book and very nice set of markers. Problem is my mom's place. I smoke more there. They are stressful people. 

0 Kudos