cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jwest8675

Chantix

I have been wanting to quit for a few years now life is just gotten the best of me within those years I lost my husband and financially I suck so quitting smoking will help me out immensely I decided to do Chantix just because I know it works and then that goes back to the reason why I continue to smoke because I knew someday I could quit with that medication because it does work and I had no side effects...  The last time I used it I wasn’t as ready as I am now probably cause I’m 10 years older   Just need some words of encouragement and would love to hear everybody’s success stories 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Have you picked a quit date?   It's important to educate yourself and prepare for your quit.  Read as much as you can on this site and if you need help, reach out.   I'm fairly new myself with 158 days.   There is lots of good support here from both long term and newer quitters.  Even with an aid, you still need to work the quit and be ready for cravings, as well as physical and emotional changes.   You got this and we're here for you.

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place to receive support for quitting smoking. I too used a medication to assist me in quitting smoking.  Chantix like other medications will only take the edge off.  You still have to put other things in place to be a success.  Quitting smoking requires a change in your thinking about smoking. (that you do not NEED to smoke)  We all go through withdrawal and have to learn what to do when the urges and craves come.  By relearning behavior and the willingness not ever take another puff. NOPE no matter what, you can start this journey on a firm foundation.  All that I have mentioned requires education.  Start with a plan and prepare so you will learn how to protect your quit.  The quitting part is easier.  Protection is where you do the hardest work. and you will not have to do this again. Start at the beginning by learning what your triggers are.  Watch the videos and make educated decisions about your quit.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX .  If you have difficulty maneuvering around the site go herehttps://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help  ask any question under the search magnifying glass.  There is another site I suggest that is a easy read about Nicotine 101 at this site. www.whyquit.com.  It was very educational for me early in my quit.  Hang out here ready study blog ask questions.  We will help. Stay close.

Never_again

I also have been using chantix. 22 days quit ..welcome.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I was successful using Chantix.  Please do the education and preparation we recommend.  Nothing is going to quit for you, but knowledge, Chantix and commitment will  help get you there!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Giulia

Hello and Welcome!  Success stories.... just go to the /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016?sr=search&searchId=490adaa5-32cc-4165-8...‌.  There are about 300 success stories there (people with a one-year quit or more).  Click on their name, then once you're on their page, click on their content.  You'll find out how they did it by reading their blogs and the responses attendant.  (If you hover over their name on the Elder's List you will see when they last logged in.)  Glad Chantix works for you and that you have no side affects from it.  Cheers!

maryfreecig

I quit at age 54. Thought I was too old to change. Thought I didn't care anymore. But I quit somehow which leads me to my success story for you---heading toward 5 years soon, avoided over 40,000 cigarettes that I would have smoked had I kept smoking, overcame a bunch of crazy cravings and ghostly thoughts such as smoking is me--there is no other me and am now free of that effect of the addiction, I've saved about 15,000 bucks, I've stopped powerless...the list is long.

Any smoker can quit. Any smoker can relearn life without the smokes/addiction. You can achieve the quit you are looking for one day at a time.

Tawny

I am quitting using Chantix as well.  Forty-four days smoke free today.  Several years ago I quit using Chantix and stayed quit for about a year and 1/2.  Then I went on vacation and decided I would smoke just while on vacation...well I don't have to tell you how that ended.  Can't really blame that on the Chantix though can I?

My experience is that the medication definitely takes the edge off.  Once I got to the two full tablets twice a day, the cigarettes were already tasting nasty and smelling nasty which also helped the quit.  One thing I did differently this time is that I didn't exactly pick a quit date.  I decided to let it pick me.  So, I ended up smoking my last cigarette on day 9 of Chantix.  I felt like this approach worked for me.  I didn't have to pick a day and then feel guilty if I went beyond that day.  I also knew by the time I smoked that last one that it just wasn't doing it for me, so I didn't have to wonder if I still wanted one.  Does that make sense? 

Since the last time that I used Chantix, the manufacturer now recommends 3 different quitting approaches.  I guess the middle one worked for me. 

I do experience some mild nausea shortly after taking it but for me it passes rather quickly.  I also experience some vivid dreams and periods of not being able to sleep.  None of these side effects have been serious enough for me to stop.

I wish you the very best with your quit!  I noticed some people recommending some reading.  One book that I find reinforces my motivation is "The Smokefree Way".  You might check it out.

My best wishes to you!  You (we) can do this!

Jwest8675

Wow thanks for your care and all of your kind words I’m pretty sure this is it this time my approach is different I’m older I’m the only parent for my kids now so I have to do something to take care myself and quit being so selfish 

0 Kudos
Tawny

I, too, am older now (50 as of this coming Saturday...) and quitting smoking was on my list of goals of things I wanted to do before this milestone birthday.  So, while I realize this quit effort will extend beyond and forever, I'm proud to have gotten the wheels turning before my goal date.

So sorry about the loss of your husband.  I have watched two of my sisters lose their husbands over the past few years.  I can only imagine the increased sense of responsibility of being the sole parent for your kids.  I pray that you have lots of support around you.

My daughter who has a rare genetic disorder resulting in severe and profound disabilities is also my biggest reason for quitting.  She needs me here and as healthy as I can be!

I'm pulling for you!

0 Kudos