cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Megs08

Rage

Oh, the rage. Driving is the worst. I am the angriest driver on the planet. I don't know where it comes from. The person directly in front of, or behind me is the target, for no reason. I am not a confrontational person by nature. I've always been very easy going. I have tried to make conscious efforts to stop. Before I turn the car on I set the intention that I am going to be kind, I am going to be patient, I am going to be safe, but it hasn't failed that not even 2 minutes into any trip I become infuriated at the people around me, whether there is a reason to or not. I need this to stop. I am trying essential oils in the car, as I find they help around the house. I guess what I am hoping for are tips and tricks from anyone who has experienced this with their own quit. I want to be a kind human being. I want to make life easier for those around me. To build folks up. Not to be a negative moment in the day for anyone, including myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never been so enraged. #roadrage‌  #rage

0 Kudos
49 Replies
GyorgyiM

I had forewarned those that "mattered" in my life that I was actively NOT smoking and that I had an attitude issue during my withdrawal period. I was open and honest with them, and told them that I wasn't always good company. From there I let them make the decision if they wanted to share time with me and "take their chances" LoL....I was crabby, short tempered, and just a little bit of a  "B" at times.

They got through it....

I got through it....

and the world is still turning.....................except for one small difference,

I have been nicotine free for nearly 1/2 year.....and it was all worth the discomforts physically and mentally.

YOU GOT THIS!!!....................it's just temporary.

Miles of Smiles....

Megs08

Thank you

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

Bless your heart!  Rage is such a powerful emotion, isn't it?  Do you breathe through it or do you find yourself tightening up and holding your breath?  When we concentrate on breathing deeply, in four counts, hold four counts, out four counts, it helps keep us relaxed and our brain able to think clearly.  

Another option is to have a good cry.  It is such a release of emotion!!  But very effective!!  

I hope you can learn to let that rage go.  Picture people driving who have their own issues...loss of a loved one, unemployment, divorce, etc....and that's why they are not driving well.  Empathy is another tool to use to let go of the rage.

Hope it helps   Take good care of you!!

Sheri

Megs08

Thank you, Sheri. I have not tried breathing therapy yet. Haven't even thought of it, but I will be trying this on the way home from work today. Crying on the other hand is pretty normal for me lately. I am either angry or I can't stop crying and crying and crying. It does feel good, in a way, to let the flood gates open and have a good cry, because it's not something I have allowed myself very often, but then it doesn't stop and mixes with guilt, self loathing, isolation etc, etc.  I was not prepared for how hard I was going to be hit with depression after quitting. Naïve on my part, as depression is a lot of the reason I started smoking. The first 30 days I was on this high of being proud of myself and excited to be done with it. I guess I was so taken with the initial choice of finally letting go of the addiction, that I didn't give too much thought to what comes next. The last 7 days have been very different from the first 30, but I am not going to give in. I am so thankful that I found this site. I am so grateful for the community and for the advice and support of wonderful people, like you, who have been down these roads and have found things that work. Thank you so very much.

Mandolinrain

I have been a victim of rage many times. Its usually hitting me when I am anxious, impatient, hungry , angry and /or very tired. It helps to be aware of your cause and I think often times we just don't take the time to do that, so we just react rather than think about it.

So What I do is pray. I pray quite a bit actually because I need more 'God ' presence in my life than angry presence. I find it very comforting to know I can reach out to God anytime, anywhere and sincerely ask of His help and guidance when I need it. Sometimes the answers come flowing immediately....sometimes I am led to be patient.

This is how I deal with it, nothing more nothing less. I hope it has helped you. 

karenjones

What a beautiful  response. I wish there were more people like you in the world.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Thank you for your kind words

0 Kudos
desiree465

When I'm having a bad time in the car I make sure that what I'm listening to on the radio isn't a factor. I always noticed when I listened to a fast paced rhythm that if my driving wasn't matching that speed that I tended to get more frustrated with people. Maybe try some calming music or listen to positive affirmations on youtube (if you have bluetooth in your car that is). It does help I promise. 

Megs08

Thank you. I hadn't thought of this either. It's true that music can drive your mood, so to speak, in one direction or another. I'll change it up and see what happens. I appreciate you. Thanks again.