cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Werdna

10 days after hospitilization: DX commumnity acquired bacterial pnuemonia

10 days out of hospital. 17 days no smoking. NRT: 14mg patch and nicotine gum. I am still having horrible cravings especially when I used to start making gourmet dinner and have a drink. I don't really miss the morning cig with coffee. The day before the craving lasted all day. I can't ever go back but that little voice keeps saying "3 a day won't hurt." I know it will. I'll be back to 10 cigs a day again. Have figured out some ways to deal, but when the big urge hits it is so hard. I had been smoking since 16 years old.60 years of smoking!!!!!!!! I need novel ways to help bust that urge.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies
AnnetteMM

Welcome and congratulations! If you search the site you'll find lots of great blogs about how to beat cravings and stay quit. Here's one to get you started:

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke 

GyorgyiM

One quickly...

Take slow deep breaths and long exhales (just like when you were hitting on a cigarette ) and then smile becuase you just exercised your lungs by expanding them as you did when you smoked, except without the NICOTINE!!!

A lot of the urges are just old habits.....

Hope this helps some....

Miles of Smiles....

Daniela2016

You made it 17 days, you are on your way to freedom.  Learn as much as you can about nicotine addiction, it will help you a lot to stay smober on your way to freedom.  Please go check out other blogs, and learn from how other members did it.  We all did it a little differently, but you can pick up an example, and follow the lead. If you want to see that person's blogs, go to their profile and click on Follow.  Here is a link I find would help you with your expectation about the next steps in your quit: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Congratulations!!!

shashort

Great job getting through the first 17 days to freedom.  Find some projects to keep you busy when the urge hits.  I also found carrying a water bottle with a straw filled with ice water was a help. When craving hits take a big slurp of water through the straw as it helped with the inhaling part and the hand to mouth part of addiction as well.  Water helps flush toxins so it it good for you. I also carried mints, cinnamon disks and gum everywhere I went. I had mints in my car, carrying water everywhere I went became my new addiction. Reading and educating yourself about this addiction is a must to help you understand what is going on with your body. I hope that helps some. Keep moving forward and remember we are here to help anyway we can.

Barbscloud

Congrats on your 17 days.   I liked chewing on straws and sour candy.  You're doing great.

karenjones

i found myslef having constant conversations with myself during my first weeks or so, like the devil and angel on the shoulder thing, this drove me nuts, and I finally just said, I am not going to engage in these conversations. end of story. that helped me tremendously, not to have these little conversations about cigarettes. i refused to discuss it with myself. not an option.  the discussions fed my cravings. and I needed to starve my cravings. try changing the subject when you start these little discussions.