cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

NateinCO

Depression after 30 days? Am I crazy?

Hello everyone, I didn’t know where else to go, it seems like a lot of people in my local environment can’t really relate to what I’m going through so I was hoping to find some support or advice here. 

I must first admit admit that I was not a smoker but rather used smokeless tobacco (about one can per day) so hopefully I don’t offend anyone for being here.  I quit cold turkey on July 12 this year and it’s been 35 days, overall I feel pretty good, any anger and aggression I was feeling at first has gone away however the past couple weeks I feel a depression and anxiety where I take things personal or too seriously (which is not like me at all).  Some days I am fine and everything is okay and other days I don’t feel good about myself and really don’t want to interact with anyone.  While I assume this is some sort of depressive state caused by no longer using nicotine, everyone thinks that after a month I should be over it.  I just wanted to get some input from people that have actually gone through this process and figure out if I’m the crazy one or not.  Just to clarify, I do not feel like hurting myself or anyone else, I am just finding it hard to find joy in things and smile throughout the week which is something  I am not used to.

Thank you to anyone who listened to me ramble.

Nate

Tags (1)
14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You are not crazy (at least I don't THINK so from what I am reading. ).  A lot of us self-medicated for depression by using nicotine.  It could still be your body adjusting to life without the drug, or it could be an underlying condition.  If it keeps up you should talk to your doctor. 

Exercise is one way to increase the dopamine you are missing.  You can go for a walk, or march in place, or find a video on YouTube.  You can also get a hit from singing out loud or dancing to your favorite music, or eating a bit of chocolate.

No worries about chew being your delivery system.  You are an addict, just like everybody else here.

Welcome!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Totally normal as Nancy said.    We buried our emotions using nicotine.  Quitting smoking does cause some emotional upset.  

EleanorRigby

This is a repost form Quit Net.. we call this No Man's Land..."Peace to all who read this. I seldom start a post, unless it is to honor someone's anniversary. But I feel compelled to share something that I seem to be sharing a lot of lately... and that is my thoughts on 'No Man's Land'. No Man's Land is a dangerous and scary place... and it is a lonely time during a quit. I call No Man's Land that period of time between about 1 month and 3 or 4 months into your quit, or about the time from the end of your first month until you become an Elder. This is a time when many people slip and go into a full relapse and have to start over... if they can start over, that is. I have some observations that may help some of you who are literally hanging on by your fingernails... or who may find yourself there tomorrow. The first month is an exhausting but exhilirating experience... you are locked in nearly daily struggles and you get the satisfaction of successfully beating your addiction that day. You go to bed a WINNER each night (as Troutnut would say), and you are justifiably proud of yourself. Your friends and family are also supportive as they see you struggling each day to maintain your quit. And you are being constantly supported here, whether or not you post... just being here is good for your quit. And so, the battles are won and it actually becomes easier and the battles occur less often as you finish 30 days or so. Around 60 days, you're starting to have some really good days, with very few craves and some nice insights about yourself... but then again, you still have some bad days. Those bad days can really be depressing... you begin to wonder if you're ever gonna be able to relax. Your junkie is whispering to you, telling you that 'just one' won't hurt. You've conquered your daily triggers, but now you start trippiing over the occasional ones... a death in the family, unexpectedly bad news, money problems, health problems, going on a long car ride, a trip to the bar, or whatever. You have a strong crave and you begin to doubt your ability to keep your quit. In addition, the 3D support that you used to get is pretty much gone... non-smokers figure you should be 'over it' by now, smokers don't like to hang around you much because they feel guilty and addicted (remember that feeling?), and people who have quit may not remember just how much love and support you need well into the first few months. They all think you should be 'over it', you think you should be 'over it'... and the temptation is to have 'just one' to see if you ARE over it. But of course you're not over it, are you? That 'just one' whisper becomes much much louder and becomes 'just one more'... and each time you give in to that whisper, the craves come harder and sooner. The one way to guarantee that your craves will never go away is to light up, to slide that old cigarette needle into your arm and shoot up. Those craves will be back and keep coming back. But if you protect your quit, your craves will eventually weaken and become even fewer and farther between. As you get to around 100 days or so (some will be a bit longer)... you will begin to really get a healthy perspective on your addiction. You will see the huge role that smoking played in your life, you will see clearly what that addiction really cost you. And you will understand that it was a very high price to pay... the loss of your confidence, your emotions, your self-control... your SELF. All enslaved to your addiction. And you will begin to see that you can look forward to a non-smoking future without romanticizing your addiction. You see it clearly for the life-stealing evil it was... and is. You see a much different future for yourself than your past has been. And it no longer scares the crap out of you to think that you are done smoking... in fact, you embrace that thought with joy every day. But you have to get out of No Man's Land first. How can you help yourself? And how can those of us who have been through it help you? First of all, you need to understand that you aren't alone. If you haven't already done so, make a pinky-finger promise with 2 or 3 good quitbuds and exchange phone numbers with them. Promise to call them if you're ever in trouble, and make them promise the same. These are your 'life and death' quitbuddies... you are literally trusting each other with your lives. Then call them... often. Just to see how they are doing, and to tell them you're doing well too. Be totally honest with them, this is life and death. Second, understand that you're going to have some unexpectedly bad days... but they are going to be further apart. Shrug them off, laugh your way through them, call your quitbuddies... whatever it takes to get through them without smoking. Some battles will be easy, some will be hard. Come here and post, send qmail, exercise, learn to cook, take up a new hobby. Whatever it takes, keep going to bed a WINNER each night. Third, ask some of the older qsters to keep an eye on you... to contact you to see how you're doing. I have been asked to do that for several of you recently and I am happy to do that, as I am sure that others are too. We know that you just need to hold on a little bit longer and change your focus just a little to make that breakthrough. And then you will OWN your quit, and it will be a very comfortable thing. Last, take a deep and honest look at your past life... your life as a smoker and compare it to what your life is like now... and what it will be like in the future. You have to develop that vision of your future, of the person that you are going to BECOME now that you have freed yourself. You have to believe in yourself. You have to love yourself enough to deny yourself your addiction. No Man's Land doesn't have to be so lonely and scary and dangerous. You need some company and some courage and some faith in yourself. And when you emerge from it, you will not be the same person that entered it. Never never never question your decision to quit! This is the most loving thing that you will ever do for yourself. A few days of discomfort in exchange for a lifetime of freedom. You will never find another deal like it. Protect your quit. Don't smoke, no matter what."

Megs08

Hello,

I'm new. Just joined today. This post saved my life today and I am so glad I found this site. You are not alone in this at all. I quit on 07/11/2018 - I have been smoke free for 1 month and 5 days. During the first month, I was down right giddy that I quit. I was so upbeat and happy. I had a feeling it was going to get worse before it got better, but wasn't going to get stressed. Just taking life one day at a time. The last 5 days have been AWFUL! If I'm not furious (and not sure why) then I am endlessly crying (and not sure why). Definite depression. I don't want to interact with anyone. I have no interest in doing anything. I feel like I have no control over my emotions, because I am actively trying to be better to myself and those around me to no avail. And then the guilt about being a terrible human being joins the party just to take me that much lower. I started smoking when I was 17 and I am 35 now. This is the longest I've ever gone without a cigarette. I am committed to this quit. I honestly don't miss cigs. I don't want to smoke. I haven't had passing cravings. I'm lucky in that. This emotional rollercoaster is gnarly though. I am trying to think of it as motivation to keep going. I don't want to have to do this again. All we can do is keep going. Good luck to you. Keep it up. We deserve to be free of this poison and to lead positive healthy lives. We will all get there. One day at a time. Much love ya'll. Thanks again. I think I'll keep coming back.  

YoungAtHeart

Happy to have you here.  The best thing you can do is read and read some more.  This place is populated with volunteers who have traveled this road before you, and understand what you are going through.

Hang around and participate.  Ask questions when you have them.

Welcome!

Nancy

Megs08

Thank you

0 Kudos
NateinCO

Hey megs08, it's great to hear that I am not alone, and hopefully you see that too.  Personally, today has been really good so far and I'm hoping that continues.  I agree, right now I have no desire to use nicotine but I feel bad for being a kill joy around friends and family right now and sometimes think is it worth it to put everyone else through this as well.  All we can do is take it one day at a time and continue the tobacco free life.  Good luck and I'm definitely here to help, I can use the motivation myself! 

indingrl

CONGRATS NATE ON 35 NON USING NIOTINE-GOOD JOB-YOU ARE NOT ALONE-GOD LOVES YOU NATE AND SO DO WE! WE have been depressed and grieving the loss of OUR drug NICOTINE- canned or rolled tobacco causes CANCER IN OUR BODIES-it is SUGGESTED-to write a goodbye letter to OUR LOVER DRUG NICOTINE-it may seem silly-it works to CUT  the ties that bind-thank you Nate for helping ME not to use NICOTINE just for today! Please read in the Bible 1 Corinthians chapter 15 verses 1-4 for yourself Gods FREE gift of salvation-thank you.

0 Kudos
Lvyles

I can completely relate to what you’re feeling as that is where I am today. Not only did I quit smoking 22 days ago but I am also unemployed and have been for 2 months. Today, for whatever reason and the first time in my 52 years, I don’t want to live any more. I’ve been trying to get a job for 2 months with only 1 interview and honestly don’t know how much more I can take. I left my last job because of the stress it was causing me and my marriage and now I’m regretting that decision and thinking my husband would be way better off without me. I’ve thought about just packing up when he’s at work and leaving him with a note telling him to have my brothers come and get the family heirlooms and disappearing into the world like that movie sleeping with the enemy where Julia Roberts fakes her death and starts over in a small town.  My husband says not to worry, I’ll get a job when the time is right.  My problem is that while we are financially okay now, my being unemployed is eating away at our savings that we usually use to travel and 8 feel guilty since I caused all of this. Basically, I want to give up my quit along with my life and I have never felt this way before. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. 

0 Kudos