cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Grammy25

Anxiety attacks and how to deal with other people’s reaction??

I have already increased my doses of my anxiety and depression medications and seem to be doing better at going to doctor’s appointments and grocery shopping; but have high anxiety about going to church. It may be that the last time I went I had a major anxiety attack and the person who took me got upset and rushed us out of there.

is there any suggestions on how to deal with other people’s reaction to me having a anxiety attack around them?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
desiree465

Is there another person who can bring you to and from church? Some people do not understand mental health issue's because they feel a person should just get over it. That is not the kind of person someone in your condition should be around. Believe me I know, I've dealt with depression/anxiety for most of my life. We need to be surrounded by people who understand that anxiety attacks are not something that you can just will yourself into not having. If you are close with this person you may want to have a discussion with them to learn why they reacted the way they did. You can try to explain to them what an anxiety attack is (basically you feel like you're going to die, right?). However, don't be upset if they still don't get it because mental illness is still something that has a stigma attached to it and is unfortunately still very misunderstood. There isn't going to be much you can say or do to change a person's mindset about mental health issue's but maybe if you can at least explain to them what you're going through it might help YOU feel better about what happened. You have my sympathy. I'm thankful everyday for my support system and my families understanding. I hope you can find the same support. 

Another thought I just had, have you thought about having a eucharistic minister bring you the sacrament, for a little while until you feel less anxious about going to church? I just remembered my grandmother used to do that for people who couldn't go to church due to illness or age. 

Grammy25

Thank you so much for your response

This had some helpful suggestions

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Perhaps you might explain to the person taking you to church (or anywhere else) what you want them to do ahead of time in case you experience an attack.  Having them be prepared might ease YOUR anxiety, too.

Am hoping you can get past this and avail yourself of the comfort of church.

Nancy

Grammy25

Thank you

Went to church this morning and with my med change I didn’t have any anxiety

IrishRose

Glad to hear you had a good morning at church today. 

Happy Sunday to you!

Irish Rose 

Grammy25

Thank you

Happy Sunday to you too

desiree465

Glad to hear it, anxiety stinks.

0 Kudos
Grammy25

Thank you

0 Kudos
Christine13

I'm so glad you had no anxiety today at church.

0 Kudos