cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ttothejwilly

Becoming Who I Think I Am

One of the main reasons I have not quit smoking again is that I have tried to quit so many times and have discovered myself snapping at friends or family over trivialities as I go through the withdrawal process. Each time an instance like this happens, after the passions cool, I feel confused as to why such a small thing would set me off. As a smoker, that never would have happened. The triviality would be bundled up and reserved for a smoke where it may not ever have to even be acknowledged. It's as if there is a little room in your brain and you can just put things in there and literally set them in fire and create them. A fairly useful little tool! 

I guess what this essentially means is in some warped way, I've felt guilty trying to quit because of the unkind way my nicotine-less self treats those I care about around me. Nor am I yet fully equipped with another room with which I can put those stressors.

Having quit for a year once and then two months last year, I recognize that these flare-ups are temporary and not completely the "real me", however I also recognize that they are a part of "real me" because at the end of the day, I have the willpower to stop smoking - I've proven it. But so far, I've never had the willpower to never smoke again. So I guess by deeply choosing to never smoke again, I'm allowing myself, my body, my brain chemistry to become the fullest example of who I really am. I suspect that that's better than the me with nicotine. 

7 Replies

Maybe this link below will be helpful.  

/blogs/Anacondahead-blog/2012/01/25/letter-to-a-loved-one 

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

I worried about that as well.  Being snappy and mean to my family.  But then I decided I wouldn't be.  Funny how that can work   My addiction wasn't going to damage my relationships any more so I kept my mouth shut for the first couple weeks of my quit.  Instead, I did yoga, went for walks, keeping busy enough to burn off that negative energy.  And when I did snap at someone, I apologized. 

Don't let your addiction talk you out of recovery.  You are in charge of your quit even if you decide to lose it.  It's still a choice.  Choose wisely and slow down so that you can think before you talk, act, reply, or behave any certain way   You have proven you have it in you!!  You can quit.

ttothejwilly

Hahaha I have been given the advice to keep my mouth shut from nigh infancy =P But you're absolutely right... Introspection and quietude would certainly ease the transition.

My main concern is really with work, where I need to be sociable and cheery. So I've been reading a few books on mindfulness and have been getting back into exercising here in the past week's preparation, all in an effort to ameliorate the upcoming dopamine swings. But I will definitely follow your advice and try to slow down, maybe even speak slower, and try to be hyper-measured.

desiree465

Your family will understand once you explain why you're on edge. Apologize when you do snap, but don't let that be a reason not to quit, because it's not a good one. Your family would rather take a few days of you being snappy then having to watch you breath with an oxygen tank, or worse a ventilator. Believe me they will understand, so give them some credit. You can do this and you already know that the bitchyness doesn't last forever. And when you feel like you're going to burst from anger please come on here and vent to us about it, even if you think it's something stupid, we are here for you. I know I had to vent all the time in the beginning. And I also had to apologize to people all day long, but they understood, so will your family. 

YoungAtHeart

You might apologize AHEAD OF TIME - letting everyone know that you are detoxing from an addiction - one that is as difficult to wean from as heroin, they say!

Don't let that short period of grumpy/mean be an excuse not to quit.  Remember - there is NEVER a good reason to smoke; there are only excuses. 

When they see the happy, free human you will become, your family and friends will not even remember your words - I promise!

Get to it!

Nancy

elvan

Quitting doesn't involve willpower...it involves education, commitment, and support.  You know what?  I did the same thing, I stuffed everything into cigarettes and now that I have been smokefree for over four and a half years...some memories are surfacing and I THOUGHT I stuffed everything when I smoked.  I was just as angry then as I was when I first quit.  I seriously "blowing my stack" when I was smoking...something I had convinced myself that I never did back then.  Not only does our addiction lie to us...we lie to ourselves about who we are.  NOTHING is worth smoking over, absolutely NOTHING.  I am so sorry for what I did to my body by smoking...I know that my family would much rather have me alive than puffing my way to an early death.  NOW, I have become the person I was supposed to be, NOW, I have learned to handle emotions, disappointment, sadness, anger, even happiness.  NOW, I have grown in the ways that I stopped growing when I started smoking.  You can do the same thing.  The physical damage is irreversible...that's a very, very important word.  Say it over and over again.  Smoking is a death sentence.

Learn about addiction, commit to your quit and do not allow any excuses to get past your line of defense...you CAN do this.  

Ellen

stAn3

We all have emotions. Emotions are not who we are. We feel them and move on. We have choices on how we deal with being irritable and frustrated. The real person is the person who is trying to stop smoking and trying to deal with anger and irritability without hurting people. 

My big thing is being tired. I used it as an excuse to relapse over and over. This time I committed to not smoking even though I stayed up all night and was dog tired. By committing to not smoking, I found a way to deal with being tired. Then I went to sleep. I wasn’t tired anymore. The feeling passed.