cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Brown112

Newcomer: Anyone see this?

I am just getting started and not sure if my posts are being seen.  Please let me know

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mama3953

Hi there welcome!

0 Kudos
stAn3

Welcome! This post showed up as a question.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

You are posting in the right place. 

Welcome to EX.  .The idea is to start at the beginning by making a commitment that no matter what happens or goes on in your life that you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke.  With that philosophy, you will have success on this journey.  No, it is not easy but it is doable by using that principle and educating yourself about nicotine addiction.   If you hang around you will see that quitting is doable, because many of us have.  Look forward to a new day and a new way of life.  It is all up to you.  This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke-free. Quitting smoking requires hard work and determination not to give up.   It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.    

0 Kudos
Giulia

Howdy and Welcome!  Yes both your posts are up and running, we see them both.  In the future it's best to just post one, so all responses can be combined on one rather than scattered about.  It helps you as well as us, because we refer back to posts to see other responses that come in.  Usually simply as a conversation or a blog, unless you have a specific question.  

You have had a couple of  two-year quits.  That's impressive.  But as you said that was 10 years ago.  That's the problem with this addiction.  Once we take that one puff after having quit,  we tend to carry on smoking for YEARS before another quit attempt.  

There's a lot more information available about how to quit, successful nicotine replacement drugs, web sites, etc. since you last quit.  This site is pretty phenomenal in it's community support and "quit plan."  I would say whyquit.com offers more no BS truthtelling from someone who has a great deal of understanding of the nature of this addiction (even though I believe he never smoked.)  So I would recommend you use that as a resource also.  Many here point to it.  There's also just a vast storehouse of information available there.

In this journey to freedom you cannot have too much information.  Knowledge is one of the keys to breaking our relationship with quitting.  Reading will be your best friend.  Because reading reinforces your new mindset. (So does supporting others on their journeys.)   And you must have a new mindset in order to conquer this beast.  You also, in my opinion, need to really sit down with yourself and ask and answer a lot of serious questions.  Why did you lost several two-year quits?  What caused each relapse.  How will this experience - this quit - be different?  Those of us with long-term quits did just  that.  And that's why those with long-term quits here often talk about the growth they have had emotionally and spiritually.  Many who quit smoking DO go through a transformation.  A new recognition of themselves.  It is an incredibly empowering experience if you choose to view it in that manner.  I hope you do!  

You say you "reallyyyy" need to quit for your health.  Don't wait so long you don't have a choice.  This time can be the final time.  But you have to put in the time and effort, the commitment and get rid of every excuse that comes to mind.  You've set your quit date several weeks ahead.  That's good.  You have time to prepare.  A strong preparation makes for a strong quit.  Chin up.  FORWARD!

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I see you have posted twice and have had responses on both.  You can respond to comments on here, too.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. You have come to the right place for support. Keep coming back, blog and read as you wish.  One day at a time you can find a smobriety that works day in and day out.

0 Kudos