cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 8

8.jpgWhen I was a kid, I loved my round decks of cards. I spent a lot of time at the pool and we played cards endlessly. It was a super carefree, and smoke-free, time of life. The only thing that truly mattered was getting in my 50 laps (what was considered training for the swim team back then) and getting home before dark. When I saw this graphic this morning, I knew it was the one I needed to celebrate day 8. A little throwback. Something to make me smile just because it exists. An image of almost wistful proportion. 

Funny how that works, isn't it? You see a picture and boom! You're there. 

Before I quit, I would go every morning to the front porch with my dog and coffee and cigs and do puzzles. I haven't done any puzzles for the past week as I didn't want to be on the porch. (I know; I don't need to do them on the porch, but that's my puzzle spot!) I went on the porch this morning as it's raining AGAIN and started doing one of my puzzles. It just didn't feel right, so I came inside for coffee and Perry Mason instead. I just may have to find a new place to do puzzles and forgo the front porch for a while longer. 

My jaws are not as tight this morning, but my gums are a little sore still. I didn't dream of smoking last night that I can recall. 

9 Replies
DonnaMarie

The original post was supposed to go up first thing this morning, but apparently I forgot to hit the post button. Ooops.

I'm here now because, even though I will not smoke, I'm super stressed. It's like I'm just getting started all over again. I'm holding onto the days I've stayed quit and will remain quit, but it's weird how the desire to smoke (the addiction) is so derned strong. 

I'm in N.O.P.E. mode and will remain there, but it baffles me nonetheless that I/we work so hard to get to this point and still have urges. Frickin addict that I am, I guess that's just the way it is, eh? 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

How about a game of Solitaire instead of a puzzle with THESE?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Round+deck+of+playing+cards&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvz... 

I did a search and came up with many options.

Look around online for a bit - just don't smoke!!!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Just checking in DonnaMarie.  How are you doing?  Congrats on celebrating your 8 days.  I've have the same experience with my deck.  I'm just over 4 months and just started being able to sit there about two weeks ago.  Being on the deck meant listening to music, video game, a beer, and of course smoking. That's the one thing I had to avoid.  Ellen suggested bubbles which I did do a couple of times.  It actually helped.

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I have bubbles on my grocery list

Right now, it's raining to beat the band and I think the gloom is getting under my skin. The outdoors and I will make friends again in nothing flat!

elvan

Making the porch a different spot helps too...lots of plants...LIVING things, you CAN do this and you do not have to give up your "spot".  Blow bubbles, make this a BREATHING spot, deep breaths...close your eyes, think of FREEDOM!  You might have to forego the puzzles for a little while but there a lots of other things to do...including computer games.  I played lots of Solitaire and then moved on to Freecell.  It kept my mind occupied and that's what I needed.  

You are doing this DonnaMarie‌ and we are ALL pulling for you!

Ellen

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I've been making tote bags all day, or at least making parts of them to put together whenever. Sewing takes me away. I took a short nap and am sucking on mints. I'll hold off on my puzzles for a bit. Crossword puzzles aren't going away anytime soon. 

Homer-Simpson-Screaming.gif

For the record, I want to run out in the woods and scream at the top of my lungs. but I will let Homer do it for me. 

I hate smoking for so many reasons, but the biggest one is that I hate it because I started it and continued it and got hooked on it. When I started, the world smoked and there were no warnings or surgeon general telling us not to do it. There were adults who told us we had to be 18 to smoke, but we could buy them anywhere at whatever age we were. We smoked at home, at school, at work, at the store, at the mall, in the frickin hospital. I knew enough to not smoke when I was pregnant both times, but I picked it back up as soon as I gave birth. Somewhere in there, it became less than socially acceptable to smoke and restaurants started smoking or nonsmoking seating, then total nonsmoking, then no smoking in bars and all the places we used to light up. We became relegated to going outside, winter/summer/spring/fall/rain/snow/whatever, huddling in groups or alone, to keep smoking. 

Anyway, that part kind of pisses me off. I'm so glad my kids don't smoke. 

Back to being antsy and wanting to scream. Day 8 continues. 

0 Kudos
elvan

DonnaMarie‌ I grew up when everyone smoked too...I was an RN, for God's sake...I SAW what smoking could do but I was in denial that it could ever do it to me.  I used to walk down the hall with doctors making rounds and be sure they had an ashtray close by.  When the surgeon general's warnings came out, I was already hooked.  I have COPD now so I HATE what it did to me but I accept responsibility for that...those cigarettes did not jump into my hands and make me smoke them.  It was a choice I made.  I am thrilled that it is so much harder and less acceptable to smoke now.maybe fewer people will suffer the consequences and big tobacco will begin to feel some pain. Probably not but I can hope.

Can you do any exercises to get your heart rate up?  That releases dopamine and makes you feel happier...seriously.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I've been pretty good about exercise. The rain has been a bummer lately. I'll go walking at Walmart or somewhere big like that tomorrow if all else fails. 

For now, I'm waiting till 10 p.m., my new bedtime! Love going to bed right now. 

elvan

By the way, I have never seen round playing cards...how COOL.