cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 7 begins

7.jpgHere we go. After today, I'll have been quit a week. I'll take it!

Dreams are getting weirder and damn, these hot "flashes" are even odder. I look at both as progress toward complete smobriety, though. Gotta get over these minor humps to make this major change. 

My shoulder surgery is on Friday and I'll be keeping busy between now and then. I tend to get the house clean, all the laundry done, and everything taken care of before I had a medical thing or go on vacation, so this will be my manic week. Bear with me

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday. 

19 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Must have missed it!  Are you having a rotator cuff repair?  Replacement?

I have had both - if you have questions, just let me know.

Funny story:  I had the cuff repair and for the first three days (I think) you had to keep your arm in a sling - 24 hrs a day.  They wanted to check it on the third day before the sling came off - and a surgical resident working at the practice took me back to an exam room and handed me a hospital gown.  When the surgeon came in, I asked him what, exactly, they expected me to do with that with only one arm and the other stuck to my chest in a sling???!!!!  When I went to see him later, I asked how the resident (dumb left unsaid) was doing.  He told me he was no longer with the practice --- DOH!!!

I hope the shoulder is not your dominant arm.  Mine was - and it was NO fun!  Both healed up just fine, though, and I can swim all the strokes with it now.

Not smoking will help it to heal faster and better.  Glad you are getting this done! 

Nancy

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I'm having a subacromial decompression, which is basically the skeletal part of the shoulder. My rotator cuff appears to be fine. I had a car mini-crash about 30 years ago and they said I might have trouble later. What I can't do is swim backstroke or drive with my elbow in the car window type of bending. If it wasn't for the swimming, I might not have it fixed, but I miss swimming an awful lot. Next year at this time, I should be swimming laps again with a fixed shoulder and cleaner lungs! 

I'm right handed and it's the left shoulder, so I hope it'll be a bit easier. My neighbor had the rotator cuff thing done on her dominant side and it took quite a while for her to get back into the swing of things. I understand that I'll be wearing the sling for comfort more than immobility. Of course, if he gets inside and sees the cuff is a mess, there's the chance that it will need to be repaired also; I'm hoping not. 

I hope you're doing okay now!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Yay, hell week is over today.   Hope everything goes well with surgery.  Friday must be hospital day.  I have some strange test scheduled.   Thought I was the only one who cleaned before they went on vacation.

Make It A Good Day

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

Every stitch of laundry will be done and there will be clean sheets on the bed. An old ritual that drives my husband crazy, but after all this time, he's willing to help make it happen. 

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

congratulations.jpg

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Great job! You are doing the best thing you can do for yourself and for surgery recovery. Yes, it's not easy but You're beating an addiction and winning your freedom and all the health and monetary benefits that come with it.

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

If you’re using the patch take it off before going to bed. I did that and my crazy dreams stopped. The hot flashes are all the toxins leaving your body. I’m 2 weeks quit and still get them but they are subsiding thank God. 

Good luck    and stay strong    

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

No nicotine replacement, just subconscious obsession... LOL This, too, will pass. 

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

Ah. Don’t worry this too shall pass. 

How did you add the picture to your post?

0 Kudos