Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 5 begins (and other stuff)

Day 5 is happening, it really is! 

05.jpg

My cheeks are still a bit tight from clenching (it's just a thing I do without even knowing it) and my breath is something like a dumpster on fire, but overall, I'm good to go. I get a bit antsy about an hour or so after meals, first thing in the morning when I'm having coffee, and any time I step outside with the dog. None of those things are unsurmountable, though. I'm going to eat, I'm going to have coffee, and the dog's going to need to go out whether I smoke or not. Knowing that life is going to happen with or without cigarettes is mighty helpful. It takes a bit of me out of it and helps me get over myself. 

What's helping? Water, walking, my quit smoking rock, my husband, people here, determination, cinnamon flavored toothpicks, and lots of other stuff. Anything that isn't illegal or nicotine tinged is fair game   

Right now, I come here often and try to keep up with others who are in the beginning stages of their quit and learn from the elders who have been at this for a good while. All of your stories and thoughts make my journey just a tad bit easier, and I thank you for that.

Here goes another day of smobriety. Let's do this!

5 Replies
elvan

It IS going to get easier...I so wish I could tell you exactly when that will be but it sounds to me like your positive attitude is already growing.  There are always going to be triggers...PLAN for them and plan for what you will do INSTEAD of smoking.  You CAN do this.  It is one day at a time and when that's too long, how about one trigger at a time.  Every time you get past a trigger, you have shown yourself that you CAN.

So glad you are back.

Ellen

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I have to laugh. The dog, as if on cue, decided it was time to go out to do her business. I grabbed my rock, went out, grabbed the pooper scooper, and just walked around the yard waiting. Two helpers there - rock and walking. In the past, I would have lit up and waited on the deck. That rock is gonna save me as is any activity I can get in. I focus so much on any activity I'm willing to do as I'm in the throes of hermit-hood right now. I'll get over it, but it's easier to avoid the triggers than it is to put myself into the middle of them by venturing out into the real world. Okay, that's not 100% true; I did go out yesterday. 

I think today will be a day when I go out just to go out. 

elvan

Dogs are incredibly intuitive.

0 Kudos
Strudel

You are certainly doing the right things! Way to go - congrats on your quit! 

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

images.jpegBEAUTIFUL SMOKE FREE DAYS!

YAY

YOUR DOING GREAT HERE

JUST BECAUSE

YOU LET GO OF WHAT IT WAS

A HABIT-AS IT PROVED TO BE

NO LONGER TAKING CHARGE OF THEE

YOU KEEP THAT

ATTITUDE

DON'T LET GO...