cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hattonc

Day 3

Good Morning Everyone.. woke up just coughing up so much phlegm.. for something that might be bronchitis or the common summer cold it’s worse for people that smoke.,I ask myself.. how could I ever do such harm to myself ? Even though it’s only been 3 days .. I just hope  that my lungs will recover fully  after quitting and taking my meds.. can anyone else relate?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
mama3953

Congratulations on day 3!  And yes I can relate I have been coughing up phlegm for two weeks....cleaning out my lungs I hope!  Stay strong and feel better!

YoungAtHeart

The cilia  that sweep to keep your airways clean were filled with gunk.  They are cleaning themselves and starting to do their job again  Be GLAD!!!

AnnetteMM

Absolutely I can relate!  I had coughing and lung pain for weeks at first.  Everything takes time to heal, and healing can cause discomfort.  But it does happen and it does get better.

First off, CONGRATULATIONS ON THREE DAYS!!!

As for the coughing, it's common to cough more after we quit. For me, I was already coughing for a good two hours every morning as I smoked away before I quit. And then when I did quit, of course I was coughing but it was in my case hard to notice a difference, though it was there.

YoungAtHeart  is right! Those little hairs in the lungs start working again after we quit, and start pulling the gunk out of our lungs. That's just one of the many wonderful things that happen to us once we quit. It's a process but one that can be accomplished and there's so much waiting for you when you do. Your whole life will change for the better. All we have to do is get there one minute at a time, one hour at a time and one day at a time.

You're doing a wonderful thing for yourself and one you'll never regret. I look forward to hearing of your continued success!!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck 

0 Kudos
Strudel

Way to go! 

0 Kudos
Lisaml

I had bronchitis when I quit so I can’t really say if I coughed more or less... I felt like I was going to die. And I promised myself I would NEVER harm my lungs again. I think of my quit in terms of “time healed” as opposed to “time served”. Does that make sense ? 😉 

Please stick close to the wonderful support you will find here. It’s not easy but You CAN do this!!! 

freeneasy

It's not unusual. Lots of change -all for the good happens after you quit.  Good Job stick with it.

Life After You Quit Smoking 

0 Kudos
elvan

I had pneumonia and it exacerbated my COPD when I quit...I COULDN'T cough.  I couldn't get enough air in to cough...I used a nebulizer, three inhalers, a vaporizer, and two antibiotics.  I drank GALLONS of orange juice and hung myself off the bedside with my head on the floor and my body on the bed and pounded my chest to try to simulate coughing.  Coughing is GOOD...get that stuff out...you are doing GREAT.  Keep going.

Ellen

0 Kudos