cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

Depression after a quit?

Is it normal to feel a little depression after a quit? That's what I'm dealing with now and it's hard to shake it.

Tags (1)
32 Replies
GyorgyiM

In just a few............you are going to feel completely different.......because they are on their way..........

to "help"...

YOU GOT THIS!!!

Miles of Smiles..........

SimplySheri

Lol....yes!!

0 Kudos
Ralph1955

I separated the loss and the feelings of my quit and understanding what to do when the feeling of loss pops up. Makes it easier. I got this  

YoungAtHeart

What you are experiencing is completely normal.   A lot of us self-medicated for depression with smoking - if it doesn't lift as you work on it, or gets worse, check with your doctor.  Here is a blog you might find helpful as you navigate these early days:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms.

You should try to get some dopamine in healthier ways.  Any brisk exercise will do it - including dancing to your favorite music, or going up/down stairs, or doing a few jumping jacks, or going for a quick walk.  You can also get a bit of it from eating chocolate, or singing out loud along with some favorite tunes.  Dopamine is the drug that you miss when you quit smoking.

Hang in there - and do get moving!

Nancy

SimplySheri

It can be totally normal.  If, however, you have suicidal thoughts or cannot function 'normally' for two weeks or so, please seek professional help!  Depression means different things to different people.  And we care about you  

Sheri

Ralph1955

No thoughts like that. Guess it will pass

freeneasy

Lots of change both physical and psychological occur when you quit smoking. We all know how bad smoking is for health reasons. Smoking causes a change in your brain so when you stop your brain needs time to adapt.

Life After You Quit Smoking 

pktabron

Yup I am depressed right now too....  feel like crying, just want to go to bed, drink, or something to make it go away.

Today is my first day without the patch. but I was depressed before today.

I hope you get better, i have no solution for you at this time except to feel for you deeply. 

I too am sad.

peace and blessings

Pam DOF 20

Ralph1955

Sending good thoughts your way and hugs