cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mroseforte

Chantix

Just wanted some feed back from someone who had used this prescription .

how long ?  Were the cravings there when you stop taking the Chantix?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
desiree465

I tried chantix twice. It doesn't get rid of cravings but once you get past that first week and try to smoke you don't get that satisfied feeling anymore that comes with lighting up. The second time I tried it I became so ill I had to go to the hospital. I have never experienced stomach pain@ that horrific. It was probably the most painful thing I've ever been through, even morphine didn't help. Both times I failed at quitting. I do know people who have succeeded in quitting with this medication but my personal experience was a major failure. Look into all your NRT's the best thing I did for this final quit was to research everything. Especially because there were things out there I had never heard of before. I ended up going with the good old patch but even that I stopped using after a few weeks because I didn't like having to go through withdraw every time I went down a dose. There is all kinds of info on this site that talks about chantix and other NRT's. Good luck:)

Lisaml

I used it! Took it for about a week before my quit. It helped tremendously. 

Unfortunatley the side side effects were too much for me, and I quit after a couple weeks. I feel like it got me through the “acute” phase of quitting. Sure, there were cravings, but it was a psychological game at that point. 

Best of luck!!

sarahc-031018

I started Chantix eight days before my quit. I used it for about a month until I became extremely depressed. After talking with my doctor I decided to quit taking it. To be fair, I still am depressed after being off of it for over three months so it is most likely not from the medication. I used it in conjunction with nicotine patches. I stayed on the patch for ten weeks. It gave me the confidence that I needed to break free from the addiction. This is the longest I have ever been quit and I have no desire to smoke at all anymore! I am now 4 months and ten days smober! 

freeneasy

Congratulations Sarah!