cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karenjones

Question from No mANS LAND

I have not smoked  for about 121 days.  in the last couple of days I have been having cravings. I do have some nicotine gum in the cupboard. What do you think about me chewing some of that?  Yea or nay? Would it make me feel relaxed? I do feel kind of stressed. By life. Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Eyes65

Congratulations  on 121 days!!!!  I am on the same situation.  I am at 100+. days and feel like I need a cigarette.  But I know I do not need one since for 100 days I have not had one.  However, I do not think the gum would be a good idea because you would be reintroducing nicotine back into your system.  We can do this!!!  Everyone says it’s going to get better.  I believe them.    I pray in Jesus name we will overcome these cravings and leave No Mans Land stronger and wiser!!!!!

freeneasy

You won't always have cravings. If you've been off nicotine for a while, avoiding it is the best course. Why reintroduce an addictive substance back into your system? It takes 6 to 12 weeks for the nicotine receptors in your brain to go dormant. Give it more time. You can get over nicotine and beat the addiction.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/16020-your-brain-cravings-and-cutting-off-nicotine 

desiree465

Nooooo! I hope you didn't do it. You do not want to have to go through withdraw again, which is what will happen if you put nicotine back into your body. You can deal with these cravings, you've been doing it for over 100 days, and I know you can get through them. NML can be hard because even though there aren't as many cravings the ones that do hit you can be intense. It's just another hurdle you have to find a way to get through. When you're out of NML it will get easier believe me. For now use the arsenal that you had to use in the beginning of your quit. I used dum dum lollipops in the beginning of my quit but stopped after a few months because I didn't feel as though I needed them as much. I had to be reminded that I could go back to using them anytime to get me through. I believe in you!

karenjones

It looks like the answer is no. Thanks desiree465‌ , freeneasy‌ and Eyes65‌.  I am not going to chew any nicotine gum. I will take your advice. I quit on March 16 and funny that May to June were great. Then this last week, I just started having the little conversation, one cigarette wouldn't hurt.  well that is what runined my quit 4 times in 2018. I will read the blog about my brain and cravings. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Lisaml

I feel the same, Karen. It’s the “one won’t hurt” and “I can be a causal smoker” thinking that wrecked my quit too. 

I am determined to beat those thoughts, tho. I keep telling myself that there’s no such thing as “just one”. 

We all know that to be true..

hang in there, Karen. This is just your addictive brain trying to lure you back. Xoxo 

SimplySheri

Perfect.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

NAY to any nicotine.  *throwing in my 2 cents*

elvan

I agree with the rest of the comments here...why would you RE-introduce nicotine into your system?  I quit for a week before the craves attacked me because I was so sick that first week.  I had people suggest that I use the patch or gum but I knew the nicotine was out of my system and there was no way it was getting back in.  You are doing great and NML will pass...stress would be FED by nicotine.

Ellen