cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimplySheri

Decisions, Decisions

~~Take care of your body.  It's the only place you have to live in.~~  Unknown

I've never been a numbers person so weight and inches don't matter much to me.  But I do understand that you may want to lose a few inches from your waist.  You may want to lose that last 15 pounds.  Or maybe you just want to get healthy.

There is a huge difference in getting active and getting 'ripped'.  Being active could mean just taking a walk around your neighborhood.  Or maybe hiking through a local trail.  Or doing some yard work.  

By contrast, getting ripped could mean doing 20 pull-ups.  100 push-ups.  Pressing 235.  (Just guessing at the numbers here as I don't do these things )

Decide how fit you want to be.  Decide what you will enjoy doing.  Decide what your body can do right now.  And decide where you want to be in 6 months.  The more realistic you are in your activity goals, the more you will be able to achieve them.  Don't do things you have no interest in doing later and don't do things your body will give out on.  Take care of it...it's the only one you have!

Sheri

Tags (1)
12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I am currently limited in what I can do - and I usually do MORE than I can and then end up in recovery from overdoing.  If you are going to start extra moving, do it slowly and build the reps/kinds up!

Don't do what I do!!!

SimplySheri

Lol....you are a good example of what NOT to do   Just kidding, Nancy!  Take good care of you and find something you love to do without straining yourself.

0 Kudos
elvan

I work out 5 days a week, sometimes 6 and like YoungAtHeart‌, I sometimes OVERDO the working out...adding more and more moves and reps....not expecting to get ripped, just trying to take advantage of my friend's pool while I can.  Might have gone a little too far today...between my back and my shoulders, I have a feeling it might be a long night.

YoungAtHeart

ALL I was trying to do was start to get my hip ready so I could swim with a frog kick.  NOW  - I have a strained groin muscle.....I probably will never learn;  ima' thinkin' it ain't gonna' happen at THIS age!

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

Oh, my!  That has to hurt!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Yep - I don't recommend it at all, at ALL!

0 Kudos
elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ Oh nooooooo.  I am so sorry, that is horrible.  I am so sorry...ice to the groin?  Yikes, does not sound at all appealing...says the woman with an ice pack strapped to her back.  

Hope you feel better, love you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
SimplySheri

YoungAtHeart‌ and elvan‌, I love so much that you two like to stay active and enjoy physical activity.  I actually do my yoga 7 days a week and just add other things to it when I want more.  But it is so important to love your body enough not to do it damage!  A gentle nudge in the right direction is better than a shove off the cliff   I adore you both so take good care of yourselves!!

0 Kudos
elvan

I can only speak for myself but I never realize that I have gone too far until I have gone too far.  I DID dislocate my shoulder today when I was in the pool but I was able to get it back into place and I was able to adjust the remainder of my workout.  Right now, I look like I have a shoulder pad on one side and I don't.  I have been doing the same move for months but something went wrong today and I have no idea what.  There are some very simple yoga moves I can do in the water that I could not do on land because my balance is so poor.  I do find it surprising that my so called "good side" is weaker than my bad side.  I would work out seven days a week but my job is really physical and even though it is only one day a week...I am usually spent the next day and sometimes longer.  I have always worked out, except when I was recovering from surgery or I was too ill to move.  I am guessing that working out has dramatically impacted the amount of deformity that I have from my R.A.  I add moves all the time but this was nothing new...just went wrong somehow.  Oh well...icing a shoulder is a lot easier than icing my back or a groin.  I am taking care of myself.  I will eliminate that move tomorrow, I don't think I could do it if I tried.  I am working Saturday so I need to be at my best.

Ellen