cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

My first day quit

Hi all my name is Ralph. Last night I threw away my cigarettes before I went to bed. Woke up this morning and put on a patch. Few withdrawals and so far so good. Help me to stay on this journey. I’ve been a slave to cigarettes for 50 years and decided Enough is enough.  

14 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Ralph 

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place .to quit smoking The idea is to start at the beginning by making a commitment that no matter what happens or goes on in your life that you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke.  With that philosophy, you will have success on this journey.  No, it is not easy but it is doable by using that principle and educating yourself about nicotine addiction.   If you hang around you will see that quitting is doable, because many of us have.  Look forward to a new day and a new way of life.  It is all up to you.  This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke-free. Quitting smoking requires hard work and determination not to give up.   It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.    

Ralph1955

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the information. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome a'board, Ralph.  Aim for six months and  take that "about $1400.00" and put it into your new business.  You don't need these things once and for all!  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned?sr=search&searchId=ca4c6ed0-ea...‌  The key to success is educating ourselves about this addiction and our relationship with it.  You cannot read too much.  So DO!  Cheers!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex Ralph.    One day won!    Stay close to this site and do lots of reading.  If you need help, reach out when you need it--we're here for you.   

Make It A Good Day

125 DOF

Strudel

Congrats to you Ralph! You can do this - I came here after smoking for 40 years and this site provides wonderful support. So, be sure to stick around! 

MarilynH

Welcome Ralph you can and will be successful one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even a second at a time, deep breaths believe in yourself, be willing determined and totally committed to succeed and you can and will be successful, keep moving forward and stacking up your precious Days of Freedom so each evening you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for another Day WON .......

Ralph1955

Day 3 and so far so good. Have a few annoying cravings but nothing that I can’t handle. I must remember that my quitting should not be a burden to anyone and when I do get a craving I must control my feelings and emotions so not to get nasty 

Barb102

You are doing great Ralph!!   It’s not easy in the first few weeks for our emotions not to take over a bit with a crave.  It won’t always be this way. Give it time and give yourself a break  You have been smoking over 50 years. You are addicted. I went through the bad cravings and all I could do was apologize.  Those that care about you get it. 

Take the daily pledge with us. Follow all the help that you have been given. NOPE. Not one puff ever. Do your blog on what you are feeling and going through right now.  We all do and when time passes and it gets better, you will read your blog and see how really hard you worked for this quit.  I’m 180 days today and the first few blogs I wrote didn’t sound like I would ever be here now.  Breathe, keep busy, drink water and one of my favorites Vick’s inhalers

you will do this

Barb

Ralph1955

180 days that’s awesome congrats. Today was my first day at work and I did pretty good. At home I vape a little but don’t want to replace one habit for another so I didn’t take the vape to work. Luckily I did better than I expected.