cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Hello, my Name is Thomas

I have been very late coming to the 12 step program but find that I am powerless over addiction - that my life has become unmanageable. I have lost perspective about what is and is not my responsibility. I did not cause, cannot control and cannot cure addiction - it is incurable. 

I hope to work the 12 steps in order to clarify my serenity, my courage, and my wisdom as given to me my my higher power. 

Prayers and sharing comments are welcome!

A am a newbie just getting started on this journey even though I have 8 years and 3 months smober.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
10 Replies
Giulia

I don't quite understand this post of your Thomas.  Unless it's just to encourage those who are interested in the 12 Step method of quitting.  ???

0 Kudos
Bree19

Thomas3.20.2010

What Giulia asked.

Am I being dim?

Bree

0 Kudos
indingrl

cool you be ok

0 Kudos
Barbara145

My interpretation is " Once an addict, always an addict."  Even after you have stopped your substance you must always have a program for continued growth.

elvan

I used the Twelve Step program because I was introduced to it through Alanon and I found that addiction is addiction and recovery is recovery...it is a journey...one day at a time.  The three C's are invaluable...so is the Serenity Prayer.

Bonnie

ELLEN what are the 3 C's

0 Kudos
elvan

You didn't Cause it, you can't Cure it, and you can't Control it.  It was particularly helpful for me when my husband was getting sober over 33 years ago.  I remember the first Alanon meeting I went to and I was so scared but I felt completely at home and accepted within minutes.  Thinking of the three C's took some of the pressure off ME and I really needed that.

freeneasy

Welcome, Thomas! Keep coming back!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

No matter where you are in your quit, sometimes you have to go back to the basics.  We are always a work in progress.  Not finished. As we grow to maturity we see other areas of our lives that need improvement.  We are not perfect. The journey continues,