cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gma_Bernie

Progress?

Sometimes when things are slow we fail to see the progress we have made. I have gone 218 days without a cigarette, without even one Puff. Not that I didn't want one. I did. I made a conscious decision that I would be a better person without them. The logic and reasoning behind that decision has not changed. The only thing that changes and wavers from day-to-day is our feelings. So what do I conclude from this? That feelings are bad? Well, in most situations, yes. Feelings should be private and I think that we've gone too far sharing feelings on social media. This site however is a forum for exactly that, feelings. So let it out people! That's what we're here for. And thank you so much for listening to me. I posted a more hopeful picture of myself below. Thanks for getting me through a very hard time. Bernie.

9 Replies
SimplySheri

Congratulationsagain.jpg

elvan

Gma_Bernie‌ Love the picture, love the message...you GO!...By the way, where ARE you going, I see you have a seat belt on, LOL.

Gma_Bernie

Oh, I don't know. Probably to CVS to get a prescription!!! Sometimes I use my time alone in the car to rant and cry. I know it probably looks weird to other drivers but hey, if it helps.

elvan

Who CARES what it looks like to other drivers?  For all they know, you are talking on your phone using blue tooth.  Saying NOPE over and over again out loud probably was a bit weird too along with my very large bags of Sour Patch Kids.

freeneasy

Congrats-I hung onto the "I'm better off without them thought" too and still do 51/2 years since my last cigarette. I still have smoking thoughts brought on by feelings (generally negative) but they pass. Old habits die hard. My freedom is too precious to fool around and act on a smoking thought. The "I'm so pleased and proud that I quit thought" is too important and verifies progress to me.

maryfreecig

Good to hear that you are feeling better. Congrats on your continuing smobriety.

dashquit52

Like the pic. You are here with us. Glad to see the picture without any yuckies (smoke). Be An Exsmoker!

Giulia

Sharing feelings with strangers is a way of discovering that we're not alone in those feelings.  Sharing feelings thus validates them, for those who need that validation.  

Progress, yes most definitely.  Every day we don't smoke that is added onto our days of freedom is progress, even if we don't feel it.  What we feel is dictated by perceptions.  Quitting teaches us we can change those perceptions and so we can also change our "feelings" about things.  It takes a lot of work to master perception and feelings.  Just like quitting takes work and perseverance.  But it's a grand challenge, don't you think?!!!!

You have a great face with translucent eyes.

Gma_Bernie

Thanks Giulia. I wish I could put a better picture of me on here but the breathing difficulties have taken all the color out of my face and my eyes look terrible. Hopefully someday I can post a better picture. God I don't even remember how to do it, attach a picture.

0 Kudos