cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sarah3243

New here

I am new to this site and looking for support I am not sure how to work this website just yet any help would be great  I quit smoking 4 days ago and had a bad relapse yesterday so I’m looking for support  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SimplySheri

Welcome!!  So glad you found us   You will be getting loads of suggestions, advice, and support here.  I suggest just looking around the site and get comfortable moving around.  I don't think you can break it as I haven't so far   Read, read, read!!  And ask questions, too.  Someone is always ready to help!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place for support. The idea is to start at the beginning by making a commitment that no matter what happens or goes on in your life that you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke.  With that philosophy, you will have success on this journey.  No, it is not easy but it is doable by using that principle and educating yourself about nicotine addiction.   If you hang around you will see that quitting is doable, because many of us have.  Look forward to a new day and a new way of life.  It is all up to you.  This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke-free. Quitting smoking requires hard work and determination not to give up.   It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

I also encourage you to read. Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.    

elvan

Welcome to EX, I agree wholeheartedly with JACKIE1-25-15‌ that education is the key to a successful quit...add commitment and support and you are golden.  You CAN do this...it is one day at a time and when a day is too long...make it a MOMENT, everyone can get through a moment.   We are here to help you and we have all been where you are, we all had to start at the beginning and accept that there are no short cuts...one moment at a time.  Stay close to the site, we are here to help.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Welcome, I've seen many people come and wonder if they can do this, and then I watch, and I watch, their numbers grow, and grow big!  Do look around the site, get comfy, set a new date if you haven't, but when you decide to start again, (we hope it's soon)  we will be here to help in anyway we can!  And you will find yourself also sharing your journey as well as supporting others in no time!  You can do this because it is doable!  Hang close and use the recommended reading material, it really helps a lot!  Congrats on wanting to make the greatest decision you could ever make for yourself!  Welcome to EX Sarah! 

By the way, I never thought I could do it after 43 years, and yet here I am today, at 297 days!  Counting down now to my one year of being quit!    So excited! 

Sandy

0 Kudos
Roller831

Welcome!  Those first few days can be rough.  You have come to the right place for support.

There is a great blog out there for our new quitters.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) .  You may also want to check out posts in Best of EX.  We are here to help you on this journey to freedom!  

Welcome!  I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  ELDER'S LIST 

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

Nancy’s Blog 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke 

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007  Dale’s Blog What To Expect In The First Four Months 

I see JACKIE1-25-15  gave you the link to Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the online PDF, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. It was so helpful and I was so grateful to her for posting that information.

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

Roller

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Keep coming back to read, learn and share. Being around quitters is good for all. When you are ready or if you wish to, please update on your quit-- how it is going or not going or if you are back to planning and setting a quit date. We're here to help.

0 Kudos
Strudel

Welcome to the site. This place I should wonderful for support - so be sure to stay close. I also recommend the Carr book that Jackie mentioned - it helped me quit after 40 years of smoking. You can do this!