cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimplySheri

Yoga Helps Everything

~~Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not a punishment for what you eat.~~  Unknown

I'm so happy to see this part of Ex   Just wanted to share that I started doing yoga when I quit smoking.  I used to 'dabble' at it here and there as a smoker but quitting actually helped me focus on truly understanding yoga and doing it well. 

Yoga is not just different poses.  It is not just for the flexible.  It is not just for the young.

Yoga is a way of life!  It is breathing, it is balance, it is focus.  It can be flowing or standing or seated or gentle. 

I encourage everyone to find a class nearby or even do it at home.  I used YouTube to find some channels I liked and just tried everything   Now I do my yoga every morning and some evenings as well, depending on my stress level.  It helps keep me calm, centered, and ok during life's challenges! 

Namaste,

Sheri

Tags (1)
13 Replies

So true, Sheri and absolutely anybody can do it! You may need a very trained instructor to help you find variations that work for you but you can do it! I can still stand on my head (Salamba Sirsasana.)

Christine13

Thank you Sheri, I will start my Yoga class in September again, and I'm looking forward to it.  No reason why I can't do some here at home while I'm waiting for the class to start!

xo

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I had vowed and declared I would NEVER do chair yoga - but your blog has inspired me to look for some online until I can get back to the real thing.  I am dealing with so many physical problems right now that I am stressed from not being able to do most anything I want to do - and everything I manage to do takes three times the effort and time - frustrating to the max.

Thanks for this...will go looking tomorrow.  I used to practice every day and vowed and declared it was the answer to ANY physical problem!

I will let you know what I find!

Thanks!!!!

Nancy

SimplySheri

Yay, Nancy!!  I worked with a lady who was in a wheelchair and we found wonderful sessions for her!  I know it can be so frustrating to be limited in your movements, but show your body some love at where you're at.  It's working for you 24/7   Let me know what you find or if you need help finding something good.  If you have a physical therapist or doctor, they may be able to give you some suggestions.  Love you much, my friend!!

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Good morning Sheri.  I have been doing yoga once a week for 20 years. It is amazing.  It feels so much better since I quit smoking.  I have a wonderful yoga instructor, Bill.  All yoga instructors are the warmest people.

SimplySheri

Isn't that amazing, Barbara?  I've never seen a yoga instructor anything less than warm, encouraging, and calm.  It's fabulous!

0 Kudos
Mamacleveland

I LOVE YOGA!!  I stopped when I started smoking again...years ago.  One of those quits that didn't stick.  Ugh!  Time to get the mat out....feel the earth below my feet....and find peace.  Thanks for the post and the reminder of the beauty of yoga!

SimplySheri

It's never too late for yoga   Start again and enjoy finding your peace.  Namaste!

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I am glad that you found this corner also.  It is quite "active here" 

Exercising and Health  I started doing yoga last year for about twice a week.  My instructor is on vacation now so I will have to go it alone, there is a cable channel that I use sometimes.  I was amazed at how relaxing yoga is. The stretching is the part that is so valuable to me. There have been so many myths about yoga some people are reluctant to try it.  Thia chi is the thing now.  Hope I spelled that correctly.  Have a good day and thanks for your input.