cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hattonc

Where is my want to?

I'm really disappointed in myself that I can't get a grip on this ! ..how did I just quit cold turkey for 2 years and now I can't seem to do it just for a day ...I'm really worried..

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Roller831

Have you made a Quit kit‌?  Sometimes you just have to be it until you see it!  Be a non-smoker.  Just do it.  The rest will follow.  You don't have to quit for a day.  You have to quit for a moment.  A second.  A minute.  Let those build up.  Don't think of it in huge chunks of time.  One step and then another will get you where you want to be.  You don't have to be ready.  Just dive in head first!

Roller

elvan

I think it was always harder for me to restart a quit after losing one, I never had one that was two years old.  roller831‌ is so right that you just have to get through a MOMENT...read everything you can about this addiction and approach it AS an addiction.  Keep it in the moment.  Make your plan, do all of the reading all over again, set a date, COMMIT, and accept no excuses.  Smoking does nothing FOR you but I am a prime example of what it can do TO you.  Stay close to the site.

Hugs,

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Your "want to" is filed right next to your "decide to."  You must DECIDE that you will not smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  Don't argue with yourself about it and don't give in to the thoughts.  You made the decision - now simply honor it.  I know it's not easy, but you CAN do it.

Just DECIDE!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

..how did I just quit cold turkey for 2 years..... maybe you really never wanted to then and may be the reason you starting smoking again.  In life, we have to do things that we don't always want to do but do them because they are the smart thing, necessary and the best thing to do.  We lengthen our lives, and enjoy the benefits of being smoke-free.  Think about all the money we burned.  It makes no sense to continue smoking. It is an addiction and we have to treat it as such.  I looked at the cigarettes while puffing told myself how stupid it was.  I finally quit after making up my mind that  I needed to and was going to quit as opposed to wanting.  You can do it too.  Dive in

pastedImage_6.png 

The key word DECIDE, like Nancy said. 

maryfreecig

If you are worried, then your want to can't be too far away.

Please video yourself talking about why you want to stop smoking and why you do not. Watch yourself a day later. Sit back, watch full screen. Don't judge. Just listen.

I firmly believe quitting also requires daily growth in smobriety--just a bit everyday. Not smoking is mighty fine, but growing the smobriety means reshaping thinking on the addiction and letting go at every new level of resistance that appears--in my opinion. Plan your quit, work your smobriety one day at a time.

diamond01

Hi, I quit for 6 months,smoked for 4, now I am on 2 weeks now of not smoking all the others time I really didn't want to quit I was the only one in my family that smoked, my husband had quit for 8 years, and was always bitching about the smoke, but I was sitting outside one morning just finished my coffee, and put out my cig. and said I am done, and now i have hit 2 weeks, you can do this, I know you can.i know you don't want to be on oxygen, or get anything else, watch the TV commercials that always scares me.

elvan

Don't be like me and wait until it becomes you HAVE to.  

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Think we all pretty much have a similar story.  We've all attempted to quit numerous times, felt like a failure when we relapsed, waited too long quit again, and didn't want to quit.  We properly got here for different reasons, under different circumstances, using different means, but here we are non-smokers.  There are two thing that made it possible for me this time.   First, the support on this site has truly made all the difference for me.   Secondly, was overcoming the fear of quitting.  Maybe it's unorthodox, but I told myself I can smoke again if I choose to, so there's nothing to be afraid of.  It's not thinking about forever, but one day a time.

Make It A Good Day

116 DOF

SimplySheri

You may be at that point where you KNOW that quitting really means forever.  No more playing at a quit or failing at one or dabbling at it.  Quitting means you can never smoke again.  And sometimes that can be overwhelming and scary.  But don't just stop at "I can never smoke again".  Continue that thought.  "I can never smoke again so I will be saving thousands of dollars!  I will be healthier within days!  I will have more time!"  Add all the benefits of your quit to your thoughts.  You know you can do it as you did it for two years.  Now make it forever!  Of course you can!