cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

noknowing

How to make nml slightly exciting

In no mans land and feeling the blah of it and the old whisper of nicomonster. Doesn’t help that my allergies are worse than ever and I am not “feeling” any benefits of quitting smoking. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Tags (1)
8 Replies
Gilamonster

Congratulations on making it to no mans land ! You’re way ahead of a lot of people !

Really enjoy reading old bones Larry‘s post/stories about NML.

The one puff files are good to peek at also .

140 DOF Gayle

diamond01

you are doing great, and you will feel better.

constanceclum

Like Dale and so many others like to quote "the only way out is through". Our bodies are still in a healing process and I have noticed improvement with my allergies. You still might too.

Connie

elvan

It's a journey and recovery happens on its own schedule.  We can't rush it and there are no short cuts.  Keep the faith and keep your quit in the moment.  Quitting isn't going to take away all discomfort...it isn't going to magically cure all allergies but it sure will be better for you than continuing to smoke.  I, too, loved OldBones-Larry‌'s NML blogs and my favorite saying from him is..."One step and then another, will get you to where you want to be."

It WILL get easier.

Ellen

Barbara145

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  I once had a 90 day quit and I lost it.  I thought " I just can't do this."  Looking back I am so sorry.  I didn't quit for 11 more years and I did a lot more lung damage.  Wish I would have known about NML back then.  Feel blessed that you know.  After about 130 days things get much better.  You are doing this, hang on tight.  Not smoking is pretty wonderful in more ways than you could ever imagine.  Enjoy your day.

Giulia

I don't know if you do any kind of exercising, but the "same old, same old" feeling of NML might be perked up by adding a little exercise spice to it.  Even a daily walk.  You're doing one great thing for your body, why not add something into the mix.  The more we accomplish, the better we feel about ourselves.  Setting ourselves a new challenge can help bring some excitement back into it.   

I think part of the reason NML is a bleak place is because we've accomplished a huge goal, met the challenge, achieved a quest.  We've achieved the quest of quitting.  And it's kind of like we think to ourselves "now what?"  The excitement is no longer there.  "Why am I not as excited?  Shouldn't there be something GREAT happening."  But there isn't.   We've just moved into the maintenance stage, and are still having cravings off and on and where's the PRIZE?  

The prize, of course, is better health.  But we don't often feel the magnificent changes taking place in our bodies.  There are actually many prizes along the journey.  The prize of coughing less, the prize of being able to smell things we haven't in years, the prize of having sweeter breath.  One of the greatest prizes is when we realize we haven't thought about a cigarette all day.  Or when we see a cigarette and find we really don't want it.  The prize of the discovery that we can get just as much enjoyment out of life as we did with a cigarette in our hand.  And the prize of being able to handle stress without that same go-to.  

Celebrating milestones is one way to keep the excitement up.  Aim for that next one and cheer yourself when you get there.  It could be 100 days, it could be another month, it could be just the celebration of getting through a really tough day without caving.  Every day we get through, until we're through, is a day to celebrate.

We celebrate YOU and your quit!

SimplySheri

Maybe you could do some fun things like learn a foreign language, join a book club, learn photography, or have a dinner party for friends?  I don't know you so I don't know your likes, skills, or whatever, but everyone likes to have fun   And you still can celebrate you and your wonderful quit.  Buy yourself something you always wanted, save your cigarette money and take a trip.  Each week you can explore where you want to go, what you'd like to do, or something like that.  Just some ideas for you   Congrats on your quit!!

Sheri

elvan

I hope you pay attention to the suggestions from Giulia and Sheri...they are really excellent.  This IS going to get easier.

Ellen