cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lescoo

Teeth & Gums

My gum health has been steadily declining for years due to smoking . In November a periodontist wanted to pull 8 of my molars due to deep pockets and replace with implants.  My gums are bad (lots of receeding) with roots showing on some teeth, but my teeth are not loose so I declined this "treatment".  I hoped that once I quit smoking my gums would do some healing since I'd like to keep my teeth as long as possible. Has anyone experienced noticeable improvement in their gum health since quitting? 

5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

My oral health didn't improve when I quit - the damage had been done.

Sorry!  I hope perhaps others had a different experience.

Nancy

0 Kudos
Lescoo

Hmmm. I may end up having to put the money I save on cigarettes where my

mouth is. Quite literally! Thank you

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 6:35 PM Youngatheart.7.4.12 <

0 Kudos
Barbara145

I kept my gums healthy throughout my smoking years.  Dental floss, water pick,a nutritious diet and lots of vitamin C.  Congrats on quitting smoking.  Get to work on those gums.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I did all the right things.  6 month cleanings religiously, flossing and brushing properly all my life.  But smoking got my teeth and gums anyway.  I've already had two extractions and a bridge made, and I'm betting I'm not finished.  There's no repairing receding gums and enamel loss.  They just don't grow back.  I wish I'd known that years ago, quite frankly.

0 Kudos
Barb102

Mine didn’t get better. Since they were the front teeth I got the implants. A painful expensive result of my years of smoking. I wish I had known this too. I guess I should have realized smoking affects more than just our lungs