cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

andrewrabey

Day 7

so far I have found my 3er day now my on 7th day the hardest , streess at work with a lot of other stuff going on, let me tell you if i would of had a smoke this moring i would of smoked it.....but i didnt ☺

My wife say to stop thing a bout it try and change your mind but its not thst eazy I find my bigest trigger to smoke is stress. It calmed me down ....

In a way . what are some way to calm your slef down when stress kiks in ?finding it hard to stay focas on my day 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I hope you did the recommended reading (???!!!) so you understand that smoking did NOTHING to relieve stress!  All it did was relieve the stress being caused by your brain sensors jonesing for their next fix and allow you  a quick break from the action. That's it and all!  You can STILL take that break - but somewhere people aren't smoking.  A quick walk will help relieve the stress - smoking is not required.  Even a quick walk around the floor will help.    You can also take slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each.  Always keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip.  Find an out of the way place, close your eyes for a minute or two and visualize being at the beach or a lake.  Do the breathing.  You can also count backwards from 1,000.  It does work.

You will need to get through this sometimes a minute at a time in the beginning...but you CAN!

Hang in there!

Nancy

elvan

What SHE said.

maryfreecig

Stress and cigarette(nicotine addiction) feed off of one another. If you are used to feeling stress, try to remember why you chose to quit in the first place. Start telling yourself whenever you are tempted to go back to the stress/addiction tread mill that quitting is good for you and you are able not to smoke just for today.

To reduce stress, keep showing up at Ex and talk about your ups and downs. Ex is here to listen, to help. Yes you can, one day at a time.

diamond01

Hi, stay on this site everyday, even if you are feeling fine, i am on day six, and proud not to have a cig. hanging out of my mouth, just don't let your mind play head games with you I have that problem in the morning, but it doesn't last, you can do this.

andrewrabey

Than You all for the good advice glad i found this sit it verey helpful to talk to people who have or are faceing the same problem its feel good to ask what your not sur about today would be day 8 anouther verey stressful day at work stayed strong deep breath drink water helped a lot. Friday tomrrow + its a long weeking + a heat wave is comeing 40degers for the next few day Good night all Happy Canada day if there is any outhr canadien people on this sit 

0 Kudos
karenjones

When you think of having a cigarette breathe very slowly and very deeply and exhale as if you are breathing out through a straw, professional athletes breathe this way all the time to reduce stress. But your wife is right, think of something else right away, if you dwell on cigarettes you will  find it harder to deal with the cravings. They will go away. I am on day 104 of not smoking. You can do it too!