cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pktabron

I NEED TO QUIT "AGAIN" OMG

Hello Ex Family,

I am so sorry to say that I fell off that wagon a few months ago.

I am trying to get back up. I don't think I stopped more than a day each time I tried.

I am going to be here a lot and realize this is the only way I can do it.

I am going back on Chantix but at a very light does since I had such a bad experience.

But it seemed to be the only thing that worked so far.

I have been using the patch, but my mind out wits me every time.  I take it off after work and smoke.

If I can get through the day, it means my mind is telling me it's ok you did good, so you can smoke during the evenings.

BS....no I don't want to do that.

My Dr told me on Friday that I have mild emphysema shown up on my CT scan.

So no matter what it takes, it's a now or never quit.

Thank you for what ever advice you can give me.
I am new here really.

Pam

50 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome back!

Mild COPD will get worse - faster and more severe if you keep smoking.  For you, now, it really IS a matter of life and breath.

I don't know how you prepared for your quits before, so i will give you the reading materials and other information I recommend.  DO them!!!!  You must make up your mind that you will not smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  Just decide and then honor it - NO MATTER WHAT!

mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

pktabron

Thank you Nancy!!!!  Tomorrow has come really fast. My Quit date is here. June 30 2018

I have spent time doing the reading and preparing myself (something, I didn't do before).

I am going to succeed this time . I know it, I feel it.  I thank you and need you. I am here reading everyday.

I am scared and looking forward to it at the same time. A weird feeling, split....

I have been reading on emphysema and meditation for stop smoking too.

Pam

JACKIE1-25-15

I need a new quit date 😞  Dont beat yourself up. You can use my comments from the last time. 

pktabron

Yes, Jackie!!!! thank you 🙂  Tomorrow is the day.  And I feel more ready then before.

Pam

0 Kudos
Barb102

Pls keep your patch on at least until you go to bed Get through one day. You will feel stronger the next day for it.  Baby steps. One day at a time. It sounds cliche but it’s true. One day leads to another and empowers you. Take the pledge every day. It helps me. If I have to I read my pledge again, I do and I drink water and move on. You have to be consistent in your quit. You have to fight through it. I wish I had stopped when diagnosed but I didn’t I can’t get back the lung function I lost but I will never lose anymore due to smoking. I don’t smoke. I want to live. Please do it now. Don’t wait until breathing becomes worse. Everyday things are so much harder.   Please read everything you can. I’m a 158 day newbie and I owe it all to this site and the Elders who have helped me more times than they know. We are here for you. Don’t dwell on the crave. Don’t give it life. Give yourself life. I care about you and will always help you. Just reach out and get busy. Drink lots of water. Take a warm bubble bath. No wine , too new in your quit , but lavender candles and your favorite music. Also , there are many good videos on meditation and yoga. I hope this helped you to feel stronger. You can do this. I know you can. Welcome 

Barb

pktabron

Good Morning Barb,

I so appreciate your help and I can hear/feel the caring in your words. Thank you for that.
Thank you for caring about me.  I want to know you better. I want to know your struggle and your journey with the lung disease. I want to know what will happen to me as time goes on.  I want to quit...no no no.... I will quit, I am strong and I will quit...esp. with the help of this site and people like you.  You words have encouraged me today. I will read and re-read for encouragement everyday.  Thank you

Pam

0 Kudos
constanceclum

I am using chantix and finding the mental aspect easier than patch. Thank God I'm not having side effects. Whenever I quit, I smoke my last cig. Sun. night before I go to sleep. I get rid of cigs in the house and there's none available Mon. morning. However, we both know the choice is ours. We can always get cigs if we choose. This time, I chose not to.

Connie

pktabron

Connie, Yes, I will smoke my last cig tonight.  I will drench and toss in the outdoor trash any remaining cigs before my last cig.

I will start that withdrawal, detoxing part as I sleep. Tomorrow will be a non stressful day...stay home, watch movies, take Xanax for the anxiety.....the good thing about it this time, is my partner will stop too, so I wont wake up to the smell of cigs in the yard or house. Yay!!!!

Thank you Connie!!!!

Pam

Giulia

You have to change something if you want to change.  Going back and reading your previous blogs and comments might help you understand what exactly it is that you need to change in order to get this done once and for all.  Emphysema is serious.   So you need to get very serious yourself and quitting must become your priority.  We have to learn to control our minds, and not let our minds control us.  Chantix and the patch are only aids.  It is our minds that ultimately set us free from addiction.

"Whatever it takes"  What it takes is extreme, stubborn self-discipline and a good set of tools.  We gain the tools through practice, dedication and education.  One smoke-free day is an enormous accomplish and contributes courage for the next.  Aim for one, 24-hour period and have courage!