cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hattonc

Well...here. Goes.,..

Good evening everyone...well I just smoked my last cigarette...I'm nervous...but I know how very important it is for me to quit this horrible habit...I am getting a cough now and I know it's the smoking..I'm a nervous smoker...but I know I'm Strong..and I have to believe in myself..pray for me please ...

10 Replies

Good for you!! And if I remember your having a test tomorrow right? Happy Prep Night! Lol

hattonc

Thank u...and I did have to reschedule the procedure for the time being ..

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Happy first free smoke day!

Roller831

Turn your Day 1 into a Day WON!  We will be here for you when you need support.  We've all been there.  We all know you can do this.

There is a great blog out there for our new quitters.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) .  You may also want to check out posts in Best of EX.  We are here to help you on this journey to freedom!  

I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  ELDER'S LIST 

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

Nancy’s Blog 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke 

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007  Dale’s Blog What To Expect In The First Four Months 

JACKIE1-25-15  gave me the link to Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the online PDF, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

To begin - when you do the reading you will understand that smoking is not just a habit.  It is a full blown addiction.  I strongly recommend you read the book by Allen Carr.  It explains what this addiction does to our bodies and minds.  Knowing your enemy is an important key to success at this.

Stay busy!  Stay distracted!  Let us know if you need help or advice.  We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

0 Kudos
Rollingon

That is awesome. Today is my day Two. Not as bad right now as I thought. I have had to stop myself a few times and laugh as I was going to get out of my chair and go smoke. Oh yea I don't do that anymore. And it was gone. I also need to tell you that I am going threw the menopause as well and the hot flashes are not as intense as they  were when I was smoking. I do not have the heavy feeling in my chest and the hacking is to a minimum. Just keep busy and know we are here and we can over come anything we want to. Stay positive and breath.

I have a lot that I deal with and smoking was a time out for me. I used it as a way to cope. I have a child with Autism and needing that time to think about your next move was my excuse. Now I will have to deal with the meltdowns a lot different and know that I have to be strong and fight for not only for myself but for him. I know that I will stumble and fall but if I do not smoke I have made it a good day. I have enough things that pull me in different directions all day and that Cigarettes was another. Now that is one less thing I need to worry about and I feel good this moment.

We are all here to help.

Madyzsgocka

Congrats Rollingon!!, and hopefully hattonc too! You can still take your time-outs to think. Seeing how it's summer, maybe stock up on yummy Popsicles and fudge bars.  Sit and have a nice cold sweet treat instead of the sickorettes. Stay close to the site and post if you are feeling vunerable. We can help talk you out of a craving. N.O.P.E.

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on Day Won

0 Kudos
Strudel

We both know you can do this! Congrats on day one!