cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Smedley995

Quit date of July, 5, 2018

Looking for people that have a date near mine to quit. I would like people for morale support. People that maybe have started and have some enlightening advice. I set my date but what now. Should I slowly start cutting down until that day? When do I start the preparation? When do I clean my car? lol. So many things running through my head. I want and have to do this. I sit back on a daily watching my dad with his oxygen tank due to COPD Exasperation and think how stupid I am for smoking. He quit but quit too late. I don't want to go through what he goes through and can already relate to him in a way due to the fact I get out of breath just sitting here pecking away at the keys. Looking for new friends so anyone interested add me, msg me, and lets hold each other accountable.Find a Quit Buddy

Tags (1)
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

We ALL here will be your quit buddies.  Be careful taking/sharing advice with another person who is newly quit.  They have no idea, either, what they are doing!!!!

Start preparing TODAY.  There is lots of reading to be done, a quit kit to make, planning and preparation exercises to do.  The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php.  Don't try to cut down to below 5 cigarettes a day.  Doing so keeps you in constant withdrawal and makes it more uncomfortable than necessary  If you get down that low, it's time to just quit.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  Detailing your car is a good place to start.  Cut chunks of apples under the seats will help to take the cigarette stench out.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

Please pay attention to all that YoungAtHeart‌ has advised..she's absolutely right.  You have a BUNCH of quit buddies here.  I have to admit that I am kind of negative on people who quit at the same time becoming "buddies" because they are both so raw that if one fails, the other one often takes that as permission.  I think you will find that we have all been where you are...wondering why we kept smoking when we really knew how terrible it was for us.  I have COPD, I am on oxygen at night, I would not wish this on anyone. You need to get a baseline evaluation with a physician and have a spirometry test...find out if you already have damage.  If you do...you can't reverse it BUT you CAN slow it way down by stopping smoking, eating a healthy diet, and working out...living a healthy lifestyle.  I take better care of myself now than at any other time in my life except when I was pregnant.  I have not smoked for over 4 1/2 years after smoking for 47 years...what a terrible waste of a pair of very healthy lungs.  My oldest daughter quit smoking over 2 1/2 years ago and is doing GREAT.     You can do this with the support of the people on this site, education about nicotine addiction, and reading blogs and becoming an active part of this powerful community.  Welcome to EX...if you have not already read it, I strongly suggest reading a blog written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that I read over and over again when I quit.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months   Get some healthy snacks and maybe some not so healthy snacks and take care of yourself, know that you are beginning an amazing journey.  My mantra when I came here was NOPE...Not One Puff Ever.  It was easy to remember and to say over and over again....sometimes very softly and sometimes out loud, sometimes VERY LOUDLY.  One of my favorite sayings came from OldBones-Larry‌ "One step and then another, will get you to where you want to be."  Quitting smoking is not an event, it is a journey...one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time and sometimes, one experience at a time.  You CAN do this.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

I, like your Dad, did quit. The damage was done though. I underwent bypass surgery and therefore had to give them up. It worked, but, I don't recommend that as a quit tool. I also have COPD.

As elvan said....

On step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry

JACKIE1-25-15

It is good to reach out for companionship.  We are all on one team whether we have 1 day or 1000.  The best advice is from successful quitters.  Sure your peers can give you moral support and become buddies to tow the line together.  As YoungAtHeart it is time for you to plan and prepare to learn how to protect your quit.  Quitting is easy, staying quit requires work. It is a challenge but doable if you stick to NOPE (not one puff ever).  Start by educating yourself by the suggested readings above and you will be off to the best start.  Also, go to My quit plan upper right and get started watching the videos, reading, learning your triggers in order to have a plan.   You want to align yourself with successful quitters.  It is all about what you are willing to do not to take one puff. Ex Abbreviations 

Smedley995

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I have been reading a lot, and today I did a very thorough cleaning of my car. I took a baby food jar, put holes in the lid and put some scensty wax in it for strong air freshener from my car. And I also removed the ashtray out of the car. No more smoking in the car. I know July 5 is my quit date but one of the hardest to break will be smoking in my car, so I am going to try and adjust to that now, and then this next week it will be my house. Then starting July 5 it will be no more at all! I am determined this time. I know it will be hard but I am done. I will be on here a lot posting I am sure and I am glad I have all of you here to help. Thank you!

elvan

GREAT plan...the car was a rough one for me as well.  I never smoked IN my house but I smoked on my deck so when I quit, I changed the furniture around and put plants out there...I made it a CLEAN haven...no ashtrays, no butt can...just clean air!  You can do this and we will be with you along the way.

Ellen

Smedley995

Thank you!

YoungAtHeart

Be sure to keep a cold bottle of water with you at all times from which to sip, some tunes to sing along with, and some mints or fireballs or sour candies in the car.  Count the red/blue/white cars you see as you drive, or the number of lights you hit or miss.  Try to find different routes to your normal destinations to change up the scenery.  The better you get at changing things up, the easier this transition will be.  Cut up apple slices under your car seats are good deodorizers in the car, too.

Good job working to change up your routines, spaces.  You might rearrange the furniture in the places inside where you used to smoke.  You might find you need to wash the walls and curtains, use upholstery cleaner on the furniture to get the smell out.  Be sure to open the windows wide to let in fresh air, too!  Lots to keep you busy as you look forward to and begin your quit.

This all does require some effort on your part - but it will be SO worth it - I PROMISE!

Nancy

Smedley995

Yes planning on a lot of rearranging. Husband is going out to work so I will have plenty to catch up on to keep me busy for a while. Actually gonna clean walls because we are going to start painting the inside. Then next project is updating our furniture so a lot getting ready to change!    Very excited here and even doing a walk challenge so that will help keep my mind busy outside getting fresh air.