cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Day one!!!

I’ve tried quitting on my own too many times to count, now I’m seeking help!!! It’s been 10 hours since my last cigarette. Over the last few days while cutting down to one or two a day my lungs started hurting and the way to make them stop was to have a cigarette. Today they still hurt and my anxiety over that is getting really bad!!! I’ve smoked for some 30 years and I absolutely hate it but it is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to quit!!! I want to feel better!!! Before this week I was wheezing when I went to bed and that completely made me say NOW IS THE TIME!!! I need support though and I don’t really know how to ask for it!!! 

Tags (1)
16 Replies
Giulia

"I need support though and I don’t really know how to ask for it!!! "  You asked for it perfectly. More will chime in.  "my lungs started hurting and the way to make them stop was to have a cigarette."  You will learn a lot by educating yourself about this addiction.  You have to change your mindset to be able to quit.  Smoking a cigarette doesn't help your lungs, it just helps you get rid of the need for that next cigarette.  It just relieves the craving.  The craving may come across as your lungs hurting to you, but believe me, your lungs want nothing but fresh air.  And you kind of must know that 'cause you're here on this quit site, right?  

You want to feel better.  Now IS the time.  You can become elizabethrocksthisquit!  Stick around.  Read.  Keep an open mind.  And persevere!

Here's a little education...  What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube 

Thanks for the encouragement!!! Great video as well. I’ve been doing a lot of reading here and have found it very helpful, but your words to me were great!!! Thanks again!!! 

Giulia

I had quit two or three times in my past life, but it is support that made the difference for me as far as longevity this time around.  Staying connected keeps me wise.  You'll learn a lot here.  Eat it up!  Keep your chin up as well as your sense of humor.  The latter will go a long way in leavening the journey.

elvan

Sorry to say that I had more than one failed quit before I came here and I am VERY familiar with that lung pain you are describing.  I have felt that many, many times.  I used to quit and then feel better and go right back to smoking because the addiction convinced me that it wasn't smoking that was causing my problems.  WRONG!  This LAST time I quit was exactly 4 1/2 years ago, today...I didn't get better.  I got so sick that I thought I would not make it and I struggle every day with the damage I have done to my poor, unsuspecting lungs.  Seriously...I would not wish this on anyone.  I have COPD...Thomas3.20.2010‌ can tell you all about it and he will recommend that you get a spirometry test from your doctor to see where you stand right now.  You might want to do some reading in the COPD GROUP, COPD .  This is an addiction and quitting is not an event, it is a journey that begins with one step and keeps going one step at a time...baby steps count.  I will not tell you that it is easy because that has not been my experience but I WILL tell you that this site and the people here and the support you will get, will make all of the difference in the world.  You need to read everything you can find about nicotine addiction...you can start with Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", you can get the book from your local library or buy a copy very inexpensively.  You can decide if you want to do this with no nicotine replacement...like patches or gum or lozenges and you can ask your doctor for a prescription for Wellbutrin or Chantix to help.  No matter what you do...please plan your quit...identify your triggers and plan to do something OTHER than smoking when you feel them, it helps to have that plan in place.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Read blogs...read and read and read...see what has worked for others and choose what you feel will work for you.  This is about commitment...don't smoke, no matter what.  Take the Daily Pledge every day and ride the Freedom Train, they are both located under Celebrations and Events at the top of the page.  The pledge gives you some accountability to the person who takes your hand and the next person to join.  Read this blog by JonesCarpeDiem‌  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months , read this from YoungAtHeart‌ /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke   Please stay close to the site, come here every morning and every evening and in between, when you can.  Quitting, at the beginning, is a full time job...you will think of almost nothing else but it will pass, it WILL get easier.  I came here every morning and every evening and I still come here every day when I can.  I read blogs, I pay attention to the things other people are facing...many of them are MUCH worse than anything I have faced...  This journey is filled with good days and bad days...it is LIFE.  I used the mantra NOPE over and over again when I first started...it stands for Not One Puff Ever. I took this one day at a time, one step at a time and it DID get easier...we all started with a day one, there are no shortcuts through this journey, there are no ways to make it go faster.  

Remember that we are here and that we care, we all want you to succeed in your quit.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the meaning of NOPE   

fabulousat50

very help full information on this site, my plan is to sure be hear as often as i can, this community is awesome. 

Thank you to everyone here and the support. Back to reading.

JoAnne

0 Kudos
elvan

fabulousat50‌ I lost count of all of my failed quits....this site made all the difference in the world.  I met people I will stay connected to forever and I learned from them and leaned on them and HOPE they leaned on me.  I cannot begin to tell you how much it has meant to me...I have not been smoke free for this long since I started smoking at age 17.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

fabulousat50

Thank you Ellen, That is why i am back on this site people hear are fantastic,Thank you to everyone.

Fabulousat50 (JoAnne)

1 DOF

AnnetteMM

I had lung pain for quite awhile after I quit.  I believe it's the cilia in the lungs becoming reactivated to do their jobs.  It's actually a healing pain.  It goes away when you smoke because you stop healing.  Think about that, and embrace the healing.