Giulia

STAY OFF SLIPPERY SLOPES

Discussion created by Giulia Champion on May 19, 2011
Latest reply on May 19, 2011 by Giulia

Reposting this from Ex Admin on another blog.  Good Info.  Read it and heed it.

When it comes to slip ups in our experience, the three biggest triggers for relapse are alcohol, being around other people who are smoking and stress.

For many of us at EX who slipped, it happened after a few gulps of alcohol. Alcohol can make it harder to resist smoking. So when one of our friends lit up, we said, “Maybe just one.”

So here’s another tool for your EX quit smoking plan. We’ll put it in big letters so you’ll know it’s important:

If you don’t want to slip, stay away from slippery places.

Which means stay away from alcohol for at least a month into your quit smoking effort, longer if you can do it. But it also means not putting yourself in ANY slippery situations. Do you REALLY need to go talk to your friend when he or she’s out having a cigarette break? Do you REALLY need to stop at the same convenience store where you used to buy your cigarettes? Can you get what you need somewhere else? Think through even your small decisions because that’s where the addiction will try to sneak in. Your Inner Voice
Right before you have a slip, you’ll get a warning signal. You’ll hear voices making excuses. If you hear yourself saying any of these things, get out of wherever you are. Just go.

Hearing thoughts like these is a warning signal that you’re on the verge of returning to smoking. When you hear yourself thinking like this, wherever you are, change the situation.

If you’re drinking alcohol, stop.

If you’re alone, call a friend.

Go for a walk.

If you’re at a party, leave.

Use your medication.

Take some deep breaths.

Hang out in places you’re not allowed to smoke. Go to a movie, a store, any smoke-free public place.

Get out your list of reasons for quitting smoking and read it again.

Drink water.

Look at a picture of your kids, loved ones or anybody who wants you to live.

Temptations will come up around your smoking triggers like lunch, dinner and social situations.

Moods and stress can also serve as triggers — triggers you never thought of might pop up.

Keep in mind that slips are more likely to happen when you’re Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired — remind yourself of this by remembering “H.A.L.T.”

Ask yourself right now, before you quit smoking, “What am I going to say when someone offers me a cigarette?” “What can I do before going to that party to reduce my temptation?”

Outcomes