cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I have been cutting my cigarettes to one or two a day leading to my quit day. I am using a patch. I’m having horrible pain in what feels like my lower lungs. If I smoke it feels better?!? Today I quit. I’m having tons of anxiety over this pain. Any advis.

I have been cutting my cigarettes to one or two a day leading to my quit day. I am using a patch. I’m having horrible pain in what feels like my lower lungs. If I smoke it feels better?!? Today I quit. I’m having tons of anxiety over this pain. Any advise would be greatly appreciated 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

#1 If you are still smoking and using the patch at the same time you are doing it wrong.  Are you using the recommended mg patch for the amount you smoked?  That could make a difference.  You may be getting too much nicotine.   Anxiety that may come with quitting smoking.  Learning deep breathing exercises can help to minimize it.  I would suggest that you learn about the nicotine addiction ways to distract 

Please think about where that discomfort in your lungs is coming from - smoking! Any discomfort we feel - including anxiety - are caused not by withdrawal but by smoking. Zero people have been documented as dying from withdrawal from Nicotine whereas smoking kills more people than alcohol, AIDS, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined, with thousands more dying from spit tobacco use. Face your anxiety with TRUTH! Truth will set you Free!

Barbscloud

Are you ok?   Slow down.  Take deep breathes.  Do not think about "forever"'; it's about one day at a time.  Spend time on this site reading all the good advice and techniques to help you.  It's not easy, that's why they call the first week Hell Week.   There's lots of support here, so reach out if and when you need it.  Are you taking the daily pledge?  It helps me stay on track for the day.  Stay positive--you CAN do this.

98DOF

I’m doing ok. I didn’t wake up and have to have a cigarette!!! Next will be the daily pledge    

GyorgyiM

Healing means discomfort...........transfer the pain to a sense of hopefulness that you are finally starting to heal...

The pain "WILL" subside........but until it does everything that you may go through that is uncomfortable, is and will be so WORTH IT....

WE are the proof..........

You've entered a group of "healers", "comforters" and "love"..............there's no place better to be to get through this journey.......and each second, minute, hour and moment is taking you towards a life of HAPPINESS and HEALTH that you've not experienced before (except maybe when you were a child, LoL).

Ready? 

Set? 

GROW!!!............with US.

Miles of Smiles

Thanks 

Barbara145

Good morning Elizabeth.  Welcome to this site.  You have come to the right place.  I smoked for 52 years.  I tried to quit so many times.  I never succeeded until I found Ex.  I found it important to tell myself, "Do whatever it takes."  It has been a difficult fascinating journey.  It is so worth the blood sweat and tears it takes for some, not all.  It has been almost 5 years since I quit.  Life is SO much better and sweeter without ridiculous cigarettes.  You are doing great.  

Roller831

Welcome!!!  Believe me when I say noone has died from quitting smoking! 

There is a great blog out there for our new quitters.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) .  You may also want to check out posts in Best of EX.  We are here to help you on this journey to freedom!  

Welcome!  I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  ELDER'S LIST 

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

Nancy’s Blog 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke 

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007  Dale’s Blog What To Expect In The First Four Months 

JACKIE1-25-15  gave me the link to Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the online PDF, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

Thank you!!! I look forward when I have time after work to examine these resources.

0 Kudos