cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kristih78

Who has gained 30 pounds?

Oh my, I quit smoking February 15th , I dont have cravings I honestly never want to smoke again. The problem is I was working out ,on a strict diet since the moment I stopped smoking 4 months later I have gained 30 pounds . I feel doomed , I feel like I am being punished for quitting smoking. I was losing weight at first ,but it just came to a stand still after 10 pounds lost. Yes ,I ate junk just like I did before I quit smoking but was able to lose 23 pounds because I was strict most of the time but if i eat junk now  i gain 5 pounds even though I'm very strict  . Who has had this problem? Does anyone know how long it takes for your body to regulate. Quit smoking ,you can do it is what everyone says ,but what about the support for the effects of quitting , gaining weight has depressed me to the point of crying and not wanting to leave the house  falling into a depression that I just cant get out of ,does anyone else feel this way? The only difference I feel from quitting smoking is a big fat body that I am stuck with . Although I'm sure there are benefits I just dont see them right now. Please know this is not a reason to start smoking again and I know that and have no plans to start again, I just need to resolve this weight thing so I can be proud of quitting ,at this point, I'm not all.Sorry to be so negative, these are real feelings that I have been having and any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Tags (1)
23 Replies
Roller831

ME!  But then I lost it and then some!  I focused on quitting first and gave myself a few months to focus on that.  Once I felt I could, I began focusing on healthy eating and am down about 40 pounds since the beginning of this year.  I understand the frustration and depression from not having the body image you want.

I will also say that I don't believe in strict diets because they are not sustainable.  I focus on healthy eating and portion control.  I can eat anything I want, but I have learned I need to do it through moderation.  I can have (enter what you think is a bad food here) as long as I am making healthy eating choices 80% of the time.  I don't believe in being good or bad or eating good or bad foods.  Food is food and some choices are healthier than others.

Roller

Sandy-9-17-17

Do not get discouraged, and do not give up your quit!  I am in the same boat, and still trying.  Although the weight gain has stopped for me, I find I am unable to lose it!  I exercise, ride bikes, I don't binge eat anymore, and relatively healthy! 

Our digestive system is  partly to blame, as it does not work like it did when we smoked. All I can say is.....

I am happy to be a quitter, and I am embracing the weight gain, and I continue to tone what I've gained, and hopefully when my digestive track gets use to the new me as a chain NON smoker, it will learn to operate the way it should! 

Hang on to your precious quit, as you are much healthier with a few extra pounds than you were as a smoker! 

Peace!

Sandy 274 DOF   91 Days to the 6% club! 

Mandolinrain

Oh my dear, Id say most everyone one here has . I agree 100% with Roller, so I won't repeat but I will say this...watch your quantities as well and drink a lot of water.

You will level out. Im glad your putting your quit first. That so important. But I understand how depressing the extra weight can be. Just know we are here for you. Have you tried a food journal? It may help you to see the quality and the quantity of food your eating everyday and help make you to make better choices

desiree465

I've read from more than one person on here how quitting smoking changes and slows your metabolism. It sucks. I started my weight lose about a month before my quit because I wanted to loose weight and didn't want to gain any during my quit. I did great for awhile even during the first few months of my quit. Than I hit a plateau. It took me 6 months to loose 16 pounds. The last 6 pounds was what took so long too.  I did finally reach my goal weight but I should have been able to do it in 2 to 3 months not 6 so quitting does have that as a set back. With that said I can run further and faster than I ever could before, and I feel an overall awesomeness lol. You will loose the weight I promise. But don't do these crappy diets out there. Think calories in and calories out. Watch your calories and get moving. That is the best way to loose weight even if it takes longer, because it is sustainable. You can do this Kristi and we are here to help you. 

YoungAtHeart

And ALWAYS keep in mind that a few extra pounds never killed anybody.  Smoking WILL!

Give it some time - I think portion control is the key.  You might look for an app where you can keep track of calories in and calories burned. 

Whatever you weigh - just don't smoke!

Nancy

desiree465

I use myfitnesspal app it's free if you don't do the premium version (which you don't need) and it's easy to use, love it!

GyorgyiM

There are many after effects once we STOP smoking.....so the key is how you will view (mindset) and respond (attitude) to these new issues. It's YOUR CHOICE to either relish the undesirables knowingly that you are healing and turn it into a positive thought and action....or choose to torture yourself with the uncomfortable feelings and emotions. 

No one said it's easy, but it sure is worth it....

Please stay close to this site.

Never worry about "venting" we are all human here and do share the same issues for the most part. 

We need YOU as much as you need US.

Miles of Smiles....

maryfreecig

I've just got to send you to /blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2018/06/18/believe-so-you-will-achieve Marilyn's blog which also contains this visual which I luv!

8a9011956cb4978bec7bd3464eacef3e.jpg

Maybe you need more uplifting than weight control right now because for one, you are doing all the right things. Took me a while to get to an acceptable weight/acceptable diet (I'm not going without treats). You've worked hard, congratulations on all your progress.

elvan

I want you to remember that it is a LOT better to gain some weight that you can lose later than it is to have to pull around an oxygen tank for the rest of your life.  I, too, work out, I have found that when I am diligent in my workouts, that I gain weight but that weight is muscle and not fat and muscle weighs more but it takes up less space.  Maybe you need to change up your workout...if you are biking...go fast for a short period and then slow down...same with walking...speeding up and slowing down seem to help more than doing one thing.  As far as your diet...drink lots of water, keep some high fiber snacks around and give yourself a break.  Your body is adjusting and it needs to have some time to do that.  I have lost quits in the past because of weight gain, I am so sorry that I did that, my lungs MIGHT be in better shape if I had not lost those quits.  This is a tough time of year because we feel like we can't cover ourselves up and hide our weight gains.  We CAN read about exercise routines and change things so we are doing different things all of the time. I know that when I lost quits because of the weight gain...I would go back to smoking and the weight did not magically disappear...I still had to work.  

Hang in there...I ate lots of frozen cherries and blueberries, kept them in a bowl next to my computer...some people ate frozen grapes.  I have always been a sugar freak, nothing has changed.  I have been quit for over four years, my weight has stabilized and I don't weigh more than I did when i smoked...I don't wear different size clothing.  Things settled and I am not the least bit concerned about my weight.

Hugs to you,

Ellen