cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roller831

NML & Inbetweener Weekly Check In - 6/18/2018 - Keeping your quit precious

We do this blog every Monday to offer encouragement and camaraderie to those in No Man’s Land -- months 2-3-4 of a quit and for those who have not yet reached the 6% club. Regardless of how long you’ve been quit, anyone who likes the conversation and wants to offer support is welcome to participate!

This week’s topic: Keeping your quit precious

From Giulia  who wrote /blogs/Giulia-blog/2013/09/10/how-precious-is-your-quit 

From OldBones-Larry /blogs/oldbones-larry/2018/06/13/sand-trap 

And me:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/rollercoaster831/blog/2017/10/10/not-getting-caught-in-nml... 

What exactly is the value of your quit?  And what will you do, what ARE you doing to protect yourself  from relapse? How much is it worth to you?

Are you avoiding the sand traps or sinking slowly into them?

In No Man’s Land, you’ve come a long way, but still have a long way to go.
 The routine cravings are gone but the surprise cravings can really catch you off guard. Your family and friends think you should be “over it” while you still feel quite fragile sometimes. Your relationships with smoking friends/family may be feeling strained. Your inner junkie is still around, still whispering to you, and the temptation to give in can be overwhelming at times.

But here’s the good news
. In these same 100 days, for most people, your circulation has improved substantially, walking has become easier, and your overall lung function has increased noticeably. Sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath have decreased. Your body's overall energy has increased. The roller coaster is smoothing out, and you are feeling calmer and stronger overall. Good things are happening! 

If you're in NML right now, give a shout!  Reach out and find each other! 

Click here to read Dale’s helpful blog about No Man’s Land:https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Click here to read what to expect in the first four months: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Checking in here will help you get through NML and on your way to the first year where you can celebrate being in the 6% Club and graduate to eventually become an Elder!

Please let me know if you are interested in posting the NML Weekly Check In.  I am happy to continue it, share it, or pass it to the nEXt EXer in NML or Inbetweenerville who is ready, willing, and able.

25 Replies
AnnetteMM

Good morning!  My quit is so precious I've practically turned into a non-drinker as well as non-smoker, because wine has too many smoking associations.  The one time I had a couple of glasses it was harder to resist smoking.  

I also think of my Days of Freedom as a kind of currency I'd have to spend in order to smoke.  In other words, having even ONE cigarette would now cost me 175 days!  That's just too expensive.

Roller831

I have found myself saying more and more lately that you don't want to have to go back and repeat Day 1 all over again!

DLHaffner

Good morning AnnetteMM‌ and roller831‌!!!  As the days progress I am definitely finding more and more value in my choice to live and breath just plain old regular Oxygen.  I try not to say I quit because I think it implies I've given something up and I really haven't....I've gained A LOT.  I had very few craves, urges, or whatever in my first 90 days but over the last few weeks, I've gotten hit with a few urges that threw me off a little. 

I do whatever I can to protect myself from a relapse.  First and foremost I remember a story my friend Kim told me.  She said she quit smoking when she was in her 30's and it was not easy but it was doable and she got through it.  She didn't smoke for a few years.  Then one day she thought she could have a smoke at a party.  Then she bought a pack.  Not before too long she was back to smoking as much or more then she did before and she hasn't been able to quit since.  Not even with NRTs.  She can't even make it one day without smoking.  So I remember, this might be my only shot at this thing.  I also regularly remind myself that I'm detoxed....any thoughts of smoking are BS mind tricks and it's not real.  I don't need a cigarette anymore, I'm FREE!!!!!

I've gained about 10 lbs. since I quit which is super annoying...but not smoking is my number one priority...I will deal with anything else later.  I've given myself a pass...if I feel anxiety and I've already taken a walk and cleaned something and other distractions aren't working and I still want a snack...well I eat one.  I now have stretchy pants so it's fine.   If I feel lazy and don't want to get dressed for the weekend, I let myself.  I know this is a phase and I will return to doing a lot and being active and eating less eventually.    So my quit is basically worth everything, it is priority numero uno.  I have given myself full permission to do anything I need to do to not smoke.  

Hope you all have a beautiful day!

Danielle

105 DOF

0 Kudos
Roller831

DLHaffner‌ and Barb102‌ I think weight gain is a popular topic today!  I gained 30 pounds over about 4 months into my quit before I decided I had enough of a handle on my freedom to get back to eating more healthy.  I have since lost the 30 plus an additional 10!  My new found freedom AND healthy lifestyle go hand in hand!

Self care and keeping your quit precious is the most important and we all need to do what is best for us.  The activity and healthier lifestyle will come full circle into all aspects.  Both of you are doing the right thing (in my opinion) at this time.

Both of you are doing everything right!

Barb102

Danielle I feel the same way that you do. My quit is everything and I do believe it’s my last chance. I’ve stopped many times the problem was that I just never quit. This time I did. I gained 10 lbs too. Right now my focus is my quit  Later on  I work on getting rid of the weight. You have a beautiful day too. 

Barb

151 DOF

desiree465

My quit is the most important thing that I am doing for myself at this time. I believe it will always come first as it should. I've been having a rough time with it lately but that's because I am learning how to deal with new stresses without having that crutch. It's so easy to put our problems on hold when we step outside for that 5 minutes but those problems do not go away. If anything the smoking is just making it take longer to deal with them. But I am loving my new life without them. It's hot and gross out today and I just keep thinking how much it would suck to have to smoke out in this weather. Even without the cigarette it's like I'm breathing soup out there!

Barb102

It’s miserable here too. Smoking would make it even harder to breathe 

0 Kudos
Roller831

We have some pretty oppressive heat going on in the midwest right now.  You are right...smoking doesn't change the fact there is stress.  In fact, it adds to stress not only scientifically but also psychologically. If you smoke, you will instantly feel guilty because you have to start at Day 1 again!  The guilt creates a lot of stress since you quit at quitting!  I am half joking, but think about it....if you were to smoke to ease stress, it would actually INCREASE stress AND add guilt.

Glad you realize it doesn't make the problems go away!  Life is amazing without smoking!  It only gets better!

Giulia

My quit is as precious as my life.  To put a cigarette in my mouth at this point would be so negating of that life.  When you finally wise up about smoking, you realize that every smoke-filled breath you take is trashing that gift.  (4492 DOF)