cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

s_black2681

Day before Day 1

I found this website today but I had already planned to quit smoking tomorrow. The thought of quitting has me feeling really anxious and Idon'tknow why. I am 37 and I have been smoking for almost 20 years with multiple short attempts to quit. I am really tired of smoking and this summer is going to be entirely too hot to be standing outside trying to breathe and smoke. Plus I am working on lossing weight and getting in shape but the shortness of breath is limiting my endurance. So I am looking forward to a smoke free life so why am I so anxious about quitting?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Being anxious about quitting smoking is a normal reaction.  The best way to get over the anxiety is to put energy in planning an preparing your quit.  How are you going to do it is the question you should be asking yourself.  You are at the right point if you have become tired of smoking.  You also have found the right place to support you in your decision to quit smoking.  So Welcome.  Quitting smoking requires a lot of work and education.  It is not easy but it is a doable challenge.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine.  Here is a link to help you on that point. Freedom from Nicotine - The Journey Home: free PDF version   To get started on the site go to top right and click on my quit plan and get started.  Also I recommend reading Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Twenty years of puffing on cigarettes (it's a nicotine addiction) will do that to you as you face quitting. Going without is all new. You haven't really been there since twenty years. But the anxiety is faceable and now you have Ex which is here for you every day of the week as much as you want it.

It will get easier. Welcome to Ex. Yes you can, one day at a time.

0 Kudos
elvan

You have gotten some great advice above...please remember that this is an addiction and like ANY addiction, there is a journey to recovery...it is one day at a time, sometimes, it is one experience at a time.  You are young and so lucky to have this chance to quit before you do any damage...if you have not done some already.  Quitting is the BEST thing you can do for yourself.  You will learn to deal with your feelings and emotions the way people who never smoked always did...they don't understand why we smoked.  Have a plan...My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX , it really helps, read as many blogs as you can because you will find answers in the stories of others. I came here every morning and every evening when I first quit and I still come here every day if I can.  I have not smoked in over four years now after smoking for 47 years.  I smoked long enough to do a LOT of irreversible damage to my lungs and I have had to have both of my upper lobes surgically removed...I am on oxygen at night...so far that is all.  I use inhalers every day and I am short of breath with the least exertion.  I lost quits in the past because I was worried about gaining weight,  your journey to being smoke free has to be first and foremost...the weight will come off as you get healthier but please don't try to do both at the same time.  I suggest that you read a blog written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that I read over and over again when I quit and it helped me.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months   Stay busy, here is a list of things to do instead of smoking.,.posted by YoungAtHeart‌ /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke   The things that triggered you to smoke are still going to happen, if you have a plan to do something OTHER than smoke, it helps.  My mantra when I came here was NOPE, Not One Puff Ever...I used it over and over again, sometimes silently, sometimes softly, sometimes out loud, and sometimes I YELLED it.   You have to be able to change your thinking.  I snacked on Sour Patch kids because they were really sour and did reset my brain, I also kept a small bowl of frozen cherries and frozen blueberries next to the computer (along with a spoon) and I snacked on those.  I knew that it would take time to get to the point where I did not think of smoking all the time.  I am happy to say that it DID happen, it was not easy but it was and it IS possible.  

Welcome to EX...stay close to the site, it will be your best friend.

Ellen

Lauralives

Such wonderful advice from this group.  I'm scared too.  I am quitting again after 10 days of smoking but had quit for 491 and had a bicycle accident and it sent me into a tail spin.  We will quit together!  I will think of you and send you love.  Log in and follow all the advice.  Be accountable as I will and we will do this.  Hugs to you and good luck!!  Laura