cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Anite

I have started smoking again after three months.

I am an unhappy quiter that starte smoking again after a whole three months.  I want to quit again end onf June 2018.  Any one one out there to give me a kick under my backside?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I could be wrong but it looks as though you signed up for support and may not have used it.  Years ago I signed up and that was it.  Never to return until I got an email from EX.  Relapse is not uncommon.  Quitting smoking is not easy but doable if you have the proper tools. The idea is to learn from the mistake of putting a cigarette in your mouth and inhaling it so that it does not happen again. Education about nicotine addiction is a plus.  Bookending your days here reading blogs and learning ways to not smoke would be helpful.  Having a plan is of utmost importance.  Making the commitment not to smoke no matter what is happening your life will make it easier by taking the option to smoke off the table. I am not sure if you were given any suggested readings.  If not I will get them for you.  Stay close. 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

No kicking from me - but a wish that you reflect, read and prepare for this quit.  Please think first about what caused you to give up your last quit and plan NOW what you will do differently in that same circumstance this time!  Read all you can before your quit date - get your tool box full of ideas to distract yourself, and understand what is going on in your body and mind as you travel this journey to freedom.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Opidfght

Been there done it now smoke free for 25 days no kick in the butt from me either learn from you mistakes and try try try again again and again

Lauralives

I am not going to kick you either Anite.  I relapsed but am back on track starting tomorrow.  We can do this and three weeks is awesome!  It can be tough, but we are tougher!!  Good Luck to US!!  Use this site for support.  I stopped checking in and won't do that again!!  Laura

marciem

I won't kick you either, Anite...  but here's a friend to deliver a small slap....  friendly slap

As for some tough love, I'm not much good at that either, but here is a DIY video if you feel the need for some of that...

Do it yourself Tough Love

The sooner you hop back on board, the less arduous the first days and weeks will be for you.  Those days are never easy, so be sure to use all the support you can find, including here.  Daily, hourly, minute-by-minute, someone is here to help, and there is always something new or informative to read to get you through the roughest craves.

Best wishes always!!

0 Kudos
elvan

You can do this and we will be here to help you along the way...do the reading, figure out what went wrong last time and plan how you will deal with the same challenges when they present themselves again and they WILL present themselves.  Prepare, plan, DO it one day at a time.

Ellen

0 Kudos
jtheo

Why are you waiting? In my case i need to commit every day. Remind myself smoking is not an option EVERY DAY. Don't wait!! Waiting is an excuse. Read, connect and make this a priority EVERY DAY! Wishing you the best!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Do you have a quit date?   End of June doesn't sound like you've made a commitment.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

You were an unhappy quitter and now it sounds as though you are an unhappy smoker. I firmly believe that for many including myself super strong support and encouragement is the way out. Most people cannot just quit all alone and bully their way through each day of their quit. Many of us need help changing what the addiction did to us, our minds, our thinking---like making us think that cigarette smoking is the best thing in the world. That's crazy thinking brought on by long term nicotine addiction. 

Smobriety comes by changing your thinking, staying off the butts, sticking with Ex and other support for a long time will help change your attraction (the addiction) to smoking. 

If you want to be a happy quitter you can find that  one day at a time working it.

0 Kudos