cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Green4Clean

Tips?

I am trying to quit smoking, my boyfriend is currently also a smoker. We smoke,  separately, about a pack a day. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop smoking while a significant other continues to smoke? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Daniela2016

Welcome to the EX community; you took the first step to freedom by starting blogging here.  Many of our EX (ex-smokers that is) quit while their partners remain smokers.

You need to learn as much as you can about the addiction, knowledge will help you find the right way to maintain your smobriety while living with a smoker.

Please read Allan Carr's book "the Easy way to quit smoking".  Also please read the blogs published by some of our long time quitters here on EX: 

For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)

What To Expect In The First Four Months

Expectations, Timelines and the Reality YOU Create

I did not quit with a smoker by my side, but i think those who did, will tell you your partner will have to learn to respect your choice, smoke outside, or in another confined area, after all, if you quit, you don't want to subject yourself to second hand smoking.

You will have other responses from our members, but the most important answer resides in your mind and your determination to make a better, healthier life for yourself.

Congratulations on your decision!

JACKIE1-25-15

We have lots of quitters here that live with smokers who have had success.  Here is a blog from the experts. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/expert-advice/blog/2017/06/21/quitting-when-you-live-wi...  to get more information do a search typing in a topic near the magnifying glass like "living with smokers" read and see what others have to say. 

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth. The idea is to start at the beginning by making a commitment that no matter what happens or goes on in your life that you will not use it as an EXcuse to smoke.  With that philosophy, you will have success on this journey.  No, it is not easy but it is doable by using that principle and educating yourself about nicotine addiction.   If you hang around you will see that quitting is doable, because many of us have.  Look forward to a new day and a new way of life.  It is all up to you.  This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke-free. Quitting smoking requires hard work and determination not to give up.   It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

YoungAtHeart

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/121798-re-has-any-quit-smoking-while-living-with-a-smoker... 

Some more input on quitting while living around a smoker!

Read, read and read some more.

You CAN do this; we can help!

Nancy

Sandy-9-17-17

Who knows, maybe your partner will want to quit when they see you are doing it!  Then you will have each other for support on top of the EX Community here!  It can be done though!

0 Kudos