Giulia

Cravings

Discussion created by Giulia Champion on Nov 22, 2009

(NOTE:  THIS IS THE ENTIRE DIALOGUE FROM THE ORIGINAL EX SITE.  PLEASE LEAVE ALL POSTS ON THIS TOPIC HERE.)

(THIS TOPIC WAS STARTED BY LOREN BRICEFIELD)

Loren Brincefield
cravings
    * Posted by Loren Brincefield on October 3, 2008 at 6:44am in RELAPSE TRAPS
   I've just quit smoking,and I'm useing commit lozengers but I'm still having bad craving's and I feel like I'm going to lose my mind.do'es anyone have a suggestion on how to fight the craving with out eating i use to weight 450 pounds and I'm scared of gaing weight back
The key for me this time was to stay positive. I used to think Allen Carr's method was too good to be true, but a lot of what helped me with this quit came from his book, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. You feel like you are giving yourself the best gift of health you can give. There is no deprivation, only the feeling that you can overcome a dire addiction. Best wishes to all. You are in my prayers.
I am John and I have been free of the cigarettes for twenty-eight+ days.
Tags: allen carr, complete, destination, fulfillment, hope, journey, one day at a time

------------------
Replies to This Discussion
tempest Permalink Reply by tempest on October 3, 2008 at 7:24am
         What you need to go is change that craving into an activity...like walking. Brushing your teeth or chewing gum is a good thing to do. Deep breathing such as sitting up straight, hands at your sides or in your lap, and just focus on your breathing. At first your breathing maybe shake...that is ok, you want to make your breathing smooth and long. Inhale and count to three while you breathe in. Then exhale counting to three while you breathe out. As your breathing becomes smoother, add another two counts until you are to 10. Finally you should be able to walk and breathe your way out of a craving.

Shelly Permalink Reply by Shelly on December 7, 2008 at 1:01pm

Thanks......This goes with my affirmations and reading it just made it stronger.........thanks so much.
Giulia Permalink Reply by Giulia on October 3, 2008 at 10:25am
       Let's see, how to fight the cravings without eating....do housework, vacuum your arms off; clean windows; exercise; drink green tea (that tends to kill the appetite for a while); gnaw on cinnamon sticks (I didn't enjoy that but others swear by it); get a straw and "pretend" smoke it - the ultimate Ultra Light cigarette - no tar no nicotine. I used to wad up a wee piece of paper in it to make it have a "draw" like a cigarette. I "smoked" straws for months. It was my NRT. If I didn't have one handy I'd just smoke my fingers - so to speak. lol Put my two fingers together like there was a cig. in them and "draw" on them. This "pretend" smoking I found really helped, AND it got a lot of oxygen into my lungs because I was inhaling deeply. Drinking water through a nippled bottle I found also helped. Our need to suck is primal. Maybe we should all go buy binkies (pacifiers) for ourselves. Hmmm, now there's an idea! I can picture it now: a whole population of adult non smokers walking around sucking on binkies. Maybe I should patent it as a new NRT. (People walk around with their necks cricked to their shoulders holding strange looking objects and nobody thinks anything about it. - why should they mind a binkie.)
    Keep on visiting different pages on Ex. There are lots and lots of crave busting techniques you can try. The main object is to distract yourself. Not easy, I know. Like saying don't think of a white elephant and then that's all you think about. I also suggest taking up something new, that you've never done before because it helps to focus the mind on something OTHER than smoking. You want something that challenges your brain.
    And if you must eat, eat low calorie stuff. I munched on heads of lettuce like a was a rabbit.
    Hang in.
Shelly Permalink Reply by Shelly on December 7, 2008 at 1:03pm
         Ok.....I am new.....what is an NRT (new release trap?) Love your ideas....thanks
Giulia Permalink Reply by Giulia on December 7, 2008 at 2:41pm
       Hey Shelly, NRT stands for Nicotine Replacement Therapy. It's a way of getting nicotine into the bloodstream without smoking - via nicotine gum, lozenges, inhalers, etc. (I was making a joke when I said straws were my NRTs.)
Amy Permalink Reply by Amy on February 15, 2009 at 1:15pm
         Believe it or not, celery will make cigarettes taste really nasty and will curb your craving. I use cinammon sticks, but they can be harsh. I haven't tried Giulia's suggestions, but they sound neat and will try some of them.
John Permalink Reply by John on October 5, 2008 at 2:21pm
         Tempest and Giulia have some good suggestions. Keep yourself busy and DO NOT substitute smoking for eating unhealthy.
    What I did was: I planned on rejoining my gym and working out again. That keeps me very busy and you feel great afterwards. Just plan on going for 10 minutes or even 5. If you dont like it you can walk back out but chances are you will stay longer. Plan your next day's meals the day before. Break your day up into 6 smaller, healthier meals starting with a low-cal, low fat breakfast. The planning of your meals keeps your mind busy and takes some time and breaking meals up into 6 times a day will keep you full and keep your metabolism high. Email me or contact me for some ideas on this. I'm new to it and learning more each day. I go to the gym everyday and I have never been one of those "gym types" - trust me. But I"m now doing it SUCCESSFULLY. Good luck! (I am 19 days smoke free today).
tempest Permalink Reply by tempest on October 6, 2008 at 8:38am
        Cograts on 19 plus days!!!! Way to go, hard accomplishment for sure.
Lori Permalink Reply by Lori on October 7, 2008 at 6:02am
         I am using commit lozengers too and I still get the cravings. I have been watching the fit channel and exercising. Some of the shows are really fun if you like to dance or do yoga(very relaxing. I started this last week because I know that I like to eat and dont want to gain weight. I have also been cleaning a lot. The cravings suck but the more you ignore them, the better you will feel about yourself
Karenh45 Permalink Reply by Karenh45 on October 25, 2008 at 6:51am
         Hi...
    Quit the Commit ~ all it's doing is feeding your cravings. You are in a constant state of withdrawal as long as you keep putting nicotine into your body. You need to concentrate on getting all of the nicotine out of your system. Wash it away with WATER....CRANBERRY JUICE....and GREEN TEA.....I hope you can quit the nicotine. Take care....
Susan Permalink Reply by Susan on February 15, 2009 at 4:01pm
      I quit a couple days ago, and have been using the patch. It's made a big difference and helped a lot with the cravings. You taper down with them, so eventually you no longer put the nicotine into your system.
    You're doing GREAT! Thanks for showing the way!!
Dave Permalink Reply by Dave on October 7, 2008 at 9:12am
         Loren
    Sounds familiar. I recommend anything that involves physical activity. It provides an outlet for the anxiety and naturally elevates your mood. I was actually able to quit smoking and lose 50 pounds that way. Let me know how it goes.
    Dave
Dian Permalink Reply by Dian on October 7, 2008 at 6:49pm
         I taped the end of a straw cut to the size of a cigarette and sucked on that like a cigarette, Believe it or not, it helped me. the worse for me was driving, I smoked that straw for months.
Rae Permalink Reply by Rae on October 30, 2008 at 10:12am
      I sing! I find that if I hum at work and sing like a fool in my car - I get through the craving by taking it off my mind! Air guitar is good too!
Mark Permalink Reply by Mark on December 21, 2008 at 9:54pm
    I know that I did lose my mind when I quit smoking. I mean literally. I got up at a bar where there was smoking, ran outside and hid in a bunch of bushes. my friends found me later and were like "wtf?"
    But that's what I had to do to quit smoking.
    As far as eating all kinds, I just drank a metric ton load of water everyday and it helped a little. I was still hungry, but it's just one of those things you have to live with.
    I've been an ex for a little over a month, and two weeks ago I started having cravings that were worse than the day I quit. I don't know if you can really do anything about cravings. I suppose they're what you get for ever having smoked in the first place.
Giulia Permalink Reply by Giulia on December 22, 2008 at 9:40am
         That's hilarious about hiding in the bushes. You've got that right...whatever it takes. And...one of those things you just have to live with. Cravings come, cravings go. And then they come again. But every month and year you're free of cigarettes the less intense they are. Until they become like annoying flies that you swat now and again.
    Drinking water does tend to fill you up, AND it good for you.
    Good post, Mark.
Laurie Schaible Permalink Reply by Laurie Schaible on December 22, 2008 at 7:42pm
         Try meditating and picturing yourself a year from now, and how proud you will be that you did not let cigarettes have the hold on you. It is so hard, because they are so strong. You have a great deal of strength inside, that will match and overcome if you choose. You deserve to have a life that is free of cigarettes, free of their power over your life.
    Try deep breathing. Try a drink of water. Try taking a short walk. Think of how you will feel if you have that cigarette - will you be happy? It does make a difference. There will always be another cigarette out there - refuse to give in to this craving.
    As you go on, the urge and the voice and the feelings get less. It is like the wicked witch, that made the loudest noise when she was melting.
LLOYD Permalink Reply by LLOYD on December 22, 2008 at 8:46pm

We were told in the smoke group I go to , you can drink orange juice or lemonade and it will stop the cravings.
Randi Permalink Reply by Randi on December 27, 2008 at 10:18pm
         i've been smoke-free for over a week now and, for some reason, tonight was one of the hardest times I've had with cravings since I quit (well, since day 1). I'm not sure why or what would trigger this. Has anybody else found tenacious cravings come to them way after the nicotine is out of their system? (I do not use any NRT... so it's been 8 days since nicotine has been in my body)... why such heavy cravings given these circumstances?? Any guesses? thoughts? input?
Giulia Permalink Reply by Giulia on December 28, 2008 at 9:30am

Randi, I found that indeed cravings do rear their ugly heads long after the nicotine is out of us. It's all in our minds. Literally. From what the experts say, the chemicals in cigarettes created new pathways in our brains that made us crave the "high" (dopamine) we got from smoking. (Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.) The nicotine caused long-lasting changes to portions of our brains. I can't tell you what triggers a craving at any given moment, but I know for me celebrations, milestones, etc. have always been my failing point. (See the Celebration Trap.) And that has to do with rewarding ourselves. Cigarettes became part of our psychological reward system. It's all a matter of re-training our brains. And it's an ongoing process. Rome wasn't built in a day.....
    Hang in there.
IRONHEAD Permalink Reply by IRONHEAD on January 5, 2009 at 3:16pm
         All great advise! Here's my 2 cents....I found that during the "highest" part of my cravings, I can justify any reason to light one up. I have resisted now "lighting up" since Dec 5, 2008. I realize that's still a "newbe" but I'm proud of myself that I've done this. Here's how I do it....works for me.....I'm back in the gym - 5 days a week. I used to be very disciplined in my lilfe (lifted weights in amateur competitions for 10 years) until I started smoking. I found out during a routine Dr. visit that I had Type 2 Diabetes. That was in 2001. I felt sorry for myself. A poor excuse was better than no excuse at all. Today, 7 years later, I'm slowly getting that discipline back. Now to tie that into cravings.....every time I have a craving, I think about being on the treadmill running or lifting on one of the machines. I realize that every cigarette wipes out one entire night at the gym. I won't quit working out again. One last thing....my brother-in-law died back in November. He was 60. Smoked since he was 15. I'm 52 and I don't want to leave my beautiful wife alone as he did my sister. It was so difficult seeing her go through the holidays without her mate of 30 years. If that doens't "MOTIVATE" me to start doing the right thing by not smoking....then I'm really in trouble.
Giulia Permalink Reply by Giulia on January 5, 2009 at 3:55pm
         Great post, D. I was on my way to Type 2 Diabetes but decided I didn't want to have to take pills for the rest of my life, so I altered my diet in a major way and started working out more myself. We CAN change when we're motivated.
IRONHEAD Permalink Reply by IRONHEAD on January 7, 2009 at 2:24pm
         I just read the advice about not using the Committ lozenge. I never really gave it much thought but there is still nicotine being pumped into my body. So...now...I gotta "quit" again. No more pacifiers (committ lozenges) for me.
    Giulia, I have been able to reduce the "glucaphage" meds allot since I quit. My blood is back down to under 100 while taking only 1 tab a day. I'm sure that quitting played a big role in that. I altered my diet when I found out about my diabetes, and it helped somewhat, but now, when I get back to my Doc, I'm sure he'll see a vast difference in the blood work results. I'll keep you posted.....Thanks
    PS>>>>I've changed my user id to Ironhead...."D" was soooo impersonal~!!!!!

Outcomes