cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

GarrisonCossu

First morning

The second my eyes open it’s on...the panic and anxiety. This isn’t my first time in this position, and usually what happens at this point is that the addiction takes over and I sabatoge myself into thinking that I didint even want to quit anyways. I am 14 years free from other drugs and alcohol...I mean I quit shooting heroin and smoking crack, but this nicotine....very powerful. I’m 39 years old, type 2 diabetic...I have a seven year old son with autism...and a 16 month old daughter. I watched both my mother and grandfather die from lung cancer. I have seen what that’s all looks like and it frightens me. I also don’t want to leave my children because I let an addiction rule my life. I’m scared and anxious and I really need help through this. Thank you for your time 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Roller831

Welcome!  I, too have a 14 year old son with autism.  I know it can be tough at times, but also very rewarding and he is such a blessing.  I want to live to help him grow and become the best he can be.  To do that, I quit smoking after 40+ years.  I also watched my mom die from COPD due to her smoking.  You know the drill.  You know about addiction.

There is a great blog out there for our new quitters.  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)‌.  You may also want to check out posts in Best of EX‌.  We are here to help you on this journey to freedom!  

I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016 

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching)

YoungAtHeart Nancy’s Blog /blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke 

JonesCarpeDiem‌ Dale’s Blog /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search...What To Expect In The First Four Months 

JACKIE1-25-15 gave me the link to Alan Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”.  I actually didn’t read the online PDF, but purchased a book on CD from Amazon and listened to it in my car over and over again for the first two weeks of my quit. 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

Roller

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX you have come to the right place.  Read the suggested material to educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  This your time to make a change for your life.  It can be challenging at time but doable.  Stay close, never give up.  NOPE not one puff ever no matter what is happening in your life will keep you free. 

0 Kudos
GarrisonCossu

I really appreciate the support and the response...I hope you both have a great day and I’m still holding strong just trying to stay in the moment and not be too mean to everyone around me lol.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

You have brought yourself to a great place for support, and I hope you can get here often!  Oh the time you will have on your hands for so many other good things besides wasting time smoking!  I can hear that you really want this, so please please read up an everything that is offered to you!  I smoked for 43 years, and have been free from addiction to this for almost 9 months now!  I have a very addictive personality that seems to have run in my family!  But I am conquering it one day at a time!  Start telling yourself that you don't do that anymore!  It will sink in, I promise!  Looking forward to watching your progress so please if you need any help at all, reach out!  

Sandy 257 DOF (Days of Freedom)

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

This is an AMAZING community full of compassion and support and we are happy to have you as one of us

Read as much on the site as you can, old and new blogs. The Allen Carr book was so helpful for me and MANY others. It is a short read but wow does it help.

You can do this and we will help you. The first thing is to understand why your brain is being set up by Nicotine EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU LIGHT UP....it creates the craves to grow. You will understand this once you read Carrs book.

I wish you well and look forward to cheering you on in your beautiful quit. Your history does not have to be your destiny.

Your attitude is of a healthier version of you and thats an awesome place to be

JACKIE1-25-15

Remember it is not a fight.  Breathing always calmed me.  Work on one minute or hour at a time. Staying calm was key for me.  I had lots of water by my side at all times.  I thought of every crave as my body cleansing itself.  Quitting is not easy but doable if you focus on not taking a single puff no matter what.  When the thought of smoking arises tell yourself that you don't do that anymore.  Breathe and relax. The saving part I knew a crave would only last for a few minutes. 

bacardigirl

Wow! You've beat some fierce demons! Congrats on all of your accomplishments! You've made another great decision by choosing the EX Community for support! I made that decision 600+ days ago and have been extremely successful! You are clearly a strong person, so keep us posted and lean on EX for support, there are sooo many success stories in this community, I think you will add another one-good luck!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex. from a newbie. There's great support here, so reach out if you need help when you need it.  Don't wait.  Think about taking the daily pledge if you're not doing so already.  It really helps me stay the course one day at a time.

81DOF

0 Kudos
Melissapowell

Hey there.  I to am an addict in recovery. 8 years and 8 months. I quit smoking 50 days ago cold turkey!! This is quite a challenge because nicotine doesn’t make you wreck cars etc. like other drugs can. This is what my addict mind tells me. It’s ok to smoke because it can’t make me do crazy things and get me put in a jail or institution. Nicotine however kill me. That is pretty serious. That’s the reality of smoking!! Whatever my addict brain tells me is just a bunch of crap. It wants me to fail. That’s why I try to get as much possible support as I can because I can not do this alone. Much love to all