cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Melissapowell

Oh no

i just read on here that 97% of people who quit cold turkey fail within the first 6 months. I’m scared. On 46th day. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

I have never heard that. Where did you read that?  Who wrote it?  What was the basis of the information?   A wise elder once told me "don't borrow trouble.  I will look and see if I can find what you are referencing. 

Lisaml

No matter what statistics you find, they don’t relate to Melissapowell‌. 

You make your own rules, your own decisions, and the internet statistics have nothing on YOU. 

Melissa is the only author of Melissa’s story. You get decide how it all goes down.  

Look. It’s hard to quit, we all know... But you have done the work. This is Day 46. The physical dependence has all but resolved.  Now it’s just a matter of not wanting to go BACK. 

My point is, it doesn’t matter what statistics or half-truths or studies you find. None of them relate to YOU. You are in control here, Melissa. You’ve got this! 

Xoxo 

yvette720

AMEN!

Barb102

You are not a statistic. 46 days is great!  I’ve heard many things about patch and gum too. Who cares. As long as we do what works for us that’s all that matters. Everyone is different except in the fact that none of us ever will smoke again. That’s what matters. I give you so much credit for going cold turkey. I wasn’t as strong as you are. Please Melissa don’t be scared you got this

Barb

TW517

Unfortunately, 94% of people who quit smoking will fail within 12 months no matter what method they use to quit.  I'm curious what study you read as well.  Every study I've read that show NRTs as being more effective has major flaws. Usually with the placebo group, and having no real cold turkey group. But also by NOT asking the participants if they are still using the NRT long after the prescribed 10 week course.  And this is certainly not a controlled scientific study, but everyone I personally know who quit using NRTs is either still using them years into their quits, or they relapsed and are smoking again.  Everyone I personally know who quit cold turkey is still quit anywhere from 28 years to 13 months.

You are doing SO well despite the odds being stacked against you being laid up for so long like you were.  If anyone can beat the odds to join that 6% club of quitters, it is you!

BHnCA

I’m a real newbie, but I’ve got to say that I read a lot of those stats, too. At first they were sorta comforting, because if I failed to hang on to my quit, I could rely on those stats as an easy excuse for my own weakness. I can’t afford to hang on to that mindset if I really want to quit smoking though, so I quit reading anything connected to statistics. Besides, I’ve read too many different stories on this site to believe those statistics apply to every person. 

Pay no attention to those statistics. You have the power and strength to keep your own quit no matter what the numbers say. You are doing great!

Sootie

TW517‌ is correct in his statistic......it is why you will see us congratulating those at their one year quit mark and welcoming them to the 6% club.

However kristen-9.7.15‌ is also correct. No one ever lost their quit because of a statistic......it's a choice we make to smoke or not. Don't be scared.......be strong. Make the right choice and don't smoke.

Mandolinrain

Yes, for goodness sakes as JACKIE1-25-15, PLEASE don't borrow trouble. Thats something you do not need in your head right now to dwell on. Fill yourself up with positive thoughts. 

I had heard ( and I am a cold turkey quitter) that cold turkey quitters have the best chances of staying quit. NOW, I have no idea if that is true or not, because being quit and staying quit is whats important to me, not the method. BUT it was a positive thought I allowed to sty in my thoughts.  For that day, for everyday, it is a good thought.

Your doing great. Come on now, reach out take my hand and lets walk away from all the bologna that makes you feel like you may fail...Lets reach out and take hold of the positive. Follow us ( EX) ..........lets go.......