cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

BHnCA

I'D RATHER BREATHE THAN SMOKE!

I'm on the 3rd day of my 2nd quit and this afternoon I had a craving from hell. I came SO close to going to the store for a pack of cigarettes!  I got up and started moving around quickly - too quickly because it caused me to be short of breath on account of my COPD - which was, maybe, my saving grace, because it brought my mind back to the reason I'm quitting in the first place:  I'd rather breathe than smoke.  It took a solid 30 minutes to get overcome that craving. I remember from my first quit effort, though, that I only experienced one such intense craving before. Please tell me those cravings don't keep coming that hard. 

Labels (1)
11 Replies
TW517

I always worry about answering questions like yours, "Please don't tell me cravings will be this hard", because the implied response from you if I say yes -  is that quitting isn't worth it to you then if it hurts this bad to quit.  I hope that isn't the case for you.  But the honest answer is, yes. Cravings for many people (not all) do indeed keep coming that hard for awhile.  They really do start coming further apart, but it probably won't seem like it at first.  All I can do is beg you to trust me that as painful as this seems to you now, it won't kill you, and you will one day look back and feel it was soooo worth it!  Unfortunately, there aren't any cure for craves, but there are lots of ways to help cope with them that you will find here.  Do whatever it takes to get through the next hour.  And then the next one.  And then the next one.

Sootie

Tom's answer above is a GREAT one. I can only add that you keep in mind....you smoked for quite awhile. It takes SOME investment of time and effort to quit. But, as you can see from your COPD.....it really is so WORTH IT!. I promise you that it does get easier in time and it is the most wonderful feeling in the world once your quit is solid.

Stay Strong

BHnCA

Well then I just have to set my mind that if I got through this one, I can get through another one, and another one, and anticipate a day when I have none at all. One down!

TW517

YES!

Sootie

You got it!!!!

Barb102

Best answer Tom!  Yes the craving do come harder in the beginning. But if you did the work , you have the power over them. By the work , I mean read everything you can. Arm yourself with what you will do when a crave hits. I know you will here these things over and over , but trust the Elders. They went through it all and their help and advice got me to day 130. If you read my blog, you see me scared,

worried , needing help and I did. They were all there for me and I’m sure I would have slipped w/o them. I wanted the cravings gone after week 2. But they don’t. Your quit is work , but I can promise you it does get better. The craves become more of a memory habit. Like today at a barbecue , some of my friends were smoking. I am finally to the point that I can drink (trust me not in the first few weeks). I wanted a smoke. But I really wasn’t craving it , I was used to smoking with them. I have worked (as you will)  too hard  to smoke again , yet alone of a memory crave. I was armed. I went to talk with non-smokers ,like us , I used my Vick’s and it passed. Please don’t be scared you can and will do this. We are all here for you, the Elders and us newbies too. Nothing you are going through we haven’t experienced.   I have COPD too. I can’t get back the lung function I lost, but I won’t lose more and neither will you. I’m sending you hugs and I’m here for you. I feel better than I did. I don’t cough all morning long My voice isn’t hoarse   I can hold my notes when I sing and I love to sing. You have so more good ahead of you. You can do it

Barb

elvan

BHnCA  I PROMISE you that if you stick with your quit and you ALLOW yourself to grow...it WILL get easier.  I cannot tell you when, I CAN tell you that I remember some craves that nearly dropped me to my knees and then my husband, who is a recovering alcoholic, told me that what I was experiencing was the "mental obsession"...he told me that he only knew of one way to get past that.  He said to get down on my knees and pray to have it removed...I really did not have much faith in that working at that point but I would have stood out in the yard naked if he told me that it would help...it DID.  I had to get down on my knees more than one time in the first few weeks...BUT then a day came that was a horrendous day at work...a day when I would normally have thought of nothing BUT smoking...and I never thought about it.  When I got home from work, I was so excited to be able to tell people...people on EX.  I cannot, for the life of me, remember when that happened but the fact that it happened once showed me that it could happen again.  It did and then I paid less attention because it became my new norm.  I KNEW that smoking had never solved any of my problems...I also knew that it had given me a whole new set and that breathing was NOT magically getting easier for me.  Lots of people on here blogged about how wonderful it was to be able to breathe...to be able to take a brisk walk.  I was being screened for bilateral shoulder replacements and my orthopedic surgeon and staff were really pushing me to go forward with the surgeries.  I told one of the P.A.'s that I really felt I needed a pulmonary evaluation FIRST.  She told me not to worry, that they would be very sure that I was screened well before any surgery was scheduled, let alone done.  I told her that I had already called and made an appointment with a pulmonologist...it took MONTHS to get in.  She said that was good that I was being proactive...I told her that I would call to see about scheduling the surgery AFTER the consultation.  I asked to have a low dose CT Scan when I went to the pulmonologist, along with a spirometry test.  I told the doctor that I was very, very disappointed that I did not feel better.  She gave me a new inhaler (one that I could not tolerate), she scheduled the CT Scan, and read the results of the spirometry...which were dismal.  I don't LIKE to fail tests and I failed this test so miserably that I pretty much expected her to tell me that I was not going to be around much longer.  She had me do a six minute walk which, by some miracle, I was able to do.  She ordered an overnight oximetry test and I was certain that would be fine, I mean, I would be SLEEPING, not walking or talking or climbing stairs, right?  Well, my test was horrible and her office called and said I needed to be on oxygen at night.  I said no and they told me that the risks were ridiculously high if I didn't start it.  The timing was TERRIBLE, I was going on a trip, I couldn't cart an oxygen concentrator around with me.  I finally listened to all of the advice and have been on oxygen at night ever since.  I have also had both upper lobes of my lungs removed, I have gone through pulmonary rehabilitation, and I have gotten more education and love and support from this site than I could possibly explain.  Breathing is good...being short of breath is miserable and terrifying.  Stay away from cigarettes and it WILL get easier, we just cannot give you a timeline because it is different for different people.  You are doing eveything right, you are coming here and blogging and, believe it or not, you are getting stronger and stronger!

Hugs,

Ellen

BHnCA

Thank you for the encouragement. I haven’t even been at this very long yet, but am starting to get an inner sense of being on the right track, especially as I read posts and repIies. I know I will never recover completely from the damage smoking and other things did to my lungs, but I certainly don’t want to get any worse. I also know it’s not going to be an easy process, either, but I’ve gotta give to get.  I HATE those pesky cravings, though, and can only dream about the day when they start losing power in my thoughts. I know it isn’t anything to hang my hat on yet, but today I was doing things around the house to keep busy when I had this fleeting realization of how I would ordinarily incorporate smoking breaks into everything I did and it felt good NOT doing it this time. The thought washed through me then left, like a quick breeze, but I hope to feel that sense more and more as I go along. By the way, I found another way to distract myself today ... PLUCKING MY EYEBROWS AND CHIN HAIRS THE OLD FASHION WAY! Ouch! 

Barb102

OMG Ellen you have been through so much. God Bless You for trying to help us. You are my inspiration. Love and Hugs. Barb

Sent from my iPad