cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gma_Bernie

Weigh in on HRT

Was scanning some old blogs and came across Ellen's post about taking HRT for many years. I can't remember if it was Alan or someone else but they said it was like a blanket lifted from their heads. If there is a chance that HRT could make me feel better and have more energy, I might try it. But I am reluctant to add yet another Med to my growing list. And everything comes with side effects and long-term side effects. Does anybody have any input into this question..? I have never tried HRT because of the breast cancer scare. But I know my mom was on it for many years and she was a very pleasant old woman. I am 64 years old and had a hysterectomy at age 34. But it was a partial, I still have my ovaries. Don't know if they're active at this age though. It stands to reason that they are still governing hormones in my body. And I have a lot of trouble being hot all the time.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Lisaml

The only option for you, if you are seriously considering HRT, is to get a menopause lab panel drawn at your doc office. This will allow your doctor to see if your ovaries are still doing any work. At 64, most women have completed the menopause journey. 

HRT is prescribed on an individual basis- considering family/personal history of hormonally- charged cancers, heart and blood vessel disease risk, symptoms, etc. There is no “one size fits all” approach to HRT. 

Make an appointment and talk with your provider. The recommendations and literature on HRT is something any OB/GYN will be well versed in. 

Good Luck! Hope this helps!!

AnnetteMM

I can only tell you about my own experience.  By the time I had a total hysterectomy in my early 50s, I already had an extremely low estrogen level.  I chose not to go the HRT route because I reasoned I'd only be postponing the inevitable, and maybe by going through menopause then I'd avoid it later.  I've had about 10 years of being very much warmer than just about everyone.  I feel like it's starting to get a little better, but I can still sweat at the very thought of it and I hate that.  But I never wanted to take more medication.  I don't even like taking the stuff I'm on now (especially thyroid).

Barbara145

Good morning. I am 71 years old.  I have been on Estradiol 1 mg since my Hysterectomy at 49 years old. My ovaries were removed at that time.  The only contraindication that I can think of is the amount of time since your hysterectomy.  I was listening to Sirius Xm radio recently.  There were OB Gyn doctors (females) who swear by it for themselves. .  Estrogen is very healthy for our hearts, brains and bones. It is worth a conversation with your OB-Gyn.  Congratulations on quitting smoking.

elvan

I DID feel like a blanket was lifted off my head when I started HRT but I was on it for SO LONG that it increased my chance of developing uterine cancer.  I had increased energy when I went on it and I was thrilled but I was in my late 40's.  I have been off it for several years now and I noticed no difference when I went off it.  By then, I was waaaay past menopause.  I think you should discuss it with an OB/GYN.

Gma_Bernie

Thank you all for your input. I have an appointment scheduled with my doctor. I'll get to the bottom of this. Also I'm celebrating 6 months on June 5th.

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming anniversary!  Way to go!

Ellen 

0 Kudos
Gma_Bernie

Thank you, Ellen. I am so excited. But one thing kind of worries me. Not temptation to smoke but I have been using nicotine lozenges quite a bit. They make your mouth really tender. I didn't even LIKE them at first but felt like I needed something and I can't chew gum because i got bad teeth. I'm busy worrying my lips and sucking in all the time when I don't have a lozenge. But another milestone: I weigh 124!! I was hovering around 100 lbs. when I finally quit and felt weak and vulnerable. I feel much better and could even stand to gain another 10 lbs. Even if it means I'll have to go buy new jeans.

SIX MONTHS! I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD DO IT.

JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on 6 months. 

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS! Maybe you could get another kind of lozenge to suck on in between the nicotine...alternate nicotine and then maybe a cough drop?

I am so happy for you.

Ellen

0 Kudos