cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

BHnCA

Fast Heartbeat!

Ive been on the #1 patch this week and have felt ok except for the withdrawal process itself.  Today, though, my heart is beating REALLY fast and I have to breath faster. I have COPD, so I’m familiar with pursed lip breathing and have been doing that but it doesn’t help to relieve the symptom. Do you think I should step down to the #2 patch instead? I know a rapid heartbeat can be part of the withdrawal, but it seems like it would’ve done it before now. Thanks for your feedback. Bonnie

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Lisaml

My advice would be to take off the patch right away. 

Maybe you are getting too much nicotine too fast, 

if your heart rate is elevated to the point that it’s affecting your breathing, and/or it is irregular, you need to pay attention. 

Take off the patch and see if it normalizes 

BHnCA

I did take it off about 45 minutes ago. My heartbeat seems to be settling down a bit.  If I’m okay later, then I think I will try the #2 patch instead. What do you think about that?

0 Kudos
Lisaml

I would be extremely cautious with it.... 

Personally, I would probably go to the lowest dose, if at all. 

The Nurse in me would advise you to check with your physician, and depending on how bad your symptoms were, have an EKG to rule out any arrhythmia. 

I would tend to be overly cautious because of your COPD, and that if the heart rate impacted your breathing, it sounds as though it was pretty marked, and possibly an irregular rhythm....

Conversely it could be anxiety. It’s just impossible to know, so always err on the side of caution. 

at any rate, I would not put on a new patch today. 

BHnCA

Ok. I trust your opinion on this and won’t use the patch. I’ll check with my doc before considering the lower dose patch as well. Thank you for your speedy responses! 

Lisaml

Feel better! We don’t need no stinking nicotine anyway;-) 

Lisaml

Hey! Wondering how you’re feeling todayBHnCA‌??

BHnCA

I tried posting an update earlier but the website wouldn’t open for me, something to do with the provider. Anyway I’m fine now. I called the doc. He said to switch to the #2 patch and see how it feels.  It’s sorta weird ... this morn without any patch on I felt no urges to smoke and almost didn’t go buy the smaller patches, but did just in case. Put one on later, did my shopping, etc., still fine till about 3:00 when I did start having an urge to smoke. It wasn’t a real strong urge though, and I used the straw idea and a squeeze ball to get me over the hump, then I made an early dinner to distract myself more. I felt an urge to smoke after dinner, but got thru it with pursed lip breathing and busying myself sketching. Now I am too full to care! LOL.  It surprises me that I had that reaction yesterday since I was definitely a one pack a day smoker before. I didn’t expect for enough nicotine to leave my system so soon that I’d need to move down to #2 patches already. Is that common? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE YESTERDAY!  It could have prevented a serious problem if I’d left the patch on. 

BHnCA

It looks like I won’t be able to use the #2 patch either. Although not as strongly as yesterday (when using the #1 patch),

I ended up having a similar experience today.  I ripped off the patch and things have since settled down.  As such, I don’t think I’m going to rely on the next lower dose patch.  I just hope I can ward off smoking urges as easily as I ripped off that patch! 

Mandolinrain

You can and you will. Stay close to this site. Read a lot of blogs and blog when urges hit. Find things to keep your hands and fingers busy. The patch isn't for everyone. I had problems with it as well. That being said, many had success with it.

Bottom line is...patch or no patch...It's still work..quitting is dedication , knowledge , understanding and putting into action the things you learn from this site , starting with making a choice to not smoke today. This day...

One day at a time.

We are here for you