cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JAA13

I am an addict!!! Day 4 smoke free

I never thought of myself as an addict. I am half way through Allen Carr’s book, The Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  Thank you to those who have suggested this book. It really does change your perspective. 

Today is day 4 of my quit. I have been using the patch to help. But, after listening to this audiobook, I feel like I am not doing myself any favors by using NRT. I think I should stop using the patch too. I haven’t put one on yet this morning and feel even more drained and depressed. 

Tags (1)
13 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on 4 days of freedom.  Allen Carr's book is a helpmate just like the patches.  There is no one cure-all.  It takes education, determination to relearn behavior.  You are well on your way. Depression can be a withdrawal symptom.  You have to find what works for you. Find things that you enjoy doing that can be a distraction plus bring you joy and release dopamine.  Have a good day.  Keep stacking those days. 

desiree465

I used the patch too. In the beginning it really was a life saver. All the change you go through is a shock to the system and the patch helps with that. However, with that said I stopped the patch early. The reason is because I hated going through withdraw symptoms every time you move to the next dose. But at that point I was much more comfortable with my quit and was used to not going through the physical motions of smoking. Do what works for you. Don't push yourself into doing something or not doing something based on a book or our opinions. Everyone's journey has to be taylored to them don't try to fit into someone else's perspective. You my friend are doing amazing. Congratulations on 4 DOF

AnnetteMM

The realization of addiction is a very humbling experience, isn't it?   It must be accepted and worked through in whatever way makes sense to you.  Good job so far!!

Barbscloud

You need to take away what works for you.  I read Allen Carr's book after I quit and  found some of it helpful. I'm skeptical in that he as a book for every addiction and they're all "easy" to fix.  If that were the case they're wouldn't be any addicts, no one would be overweight, etc.  .  I totally disagree that it's easy.   One of the concepts in his book that I did find useful, is that every time we finish a cigarette, we're going into withdrawal.  So the cigarette is not relieving the stress, fear, etc., it's satisfying the nicotine withdrawal  between each cigarette.  He believes using will power is the wrong approach; I've read different beliefs on this website.  I used a muti-faceted approach this time --Wellbutin, smoking cessation, nictrol inhalers, and of course the Ex (which has made all the difference) .  On day 70 of my quit, I have no regrets on how I got here.

TW517

I had a hard time with Allen Carr's book too.  He comes across as such a huckster, it was difficult to take him seriously.  But just like you, the 2 things that impacted me the most were 1) That I was an addict, and 2) NRTs had hurt my previous quits instead of helping them (I've since realized that was all my fault).

Knowing what I know now, I don't have a problem with NRTs if used correctly.  They are just so easy to abuse for many people (like me).  But like AnnetteMM‌ said, that coming to grips with being an addict was a huge eye-opener.  Previously, I saw myself as someone with a habit that I needed to break.  That sounds so much easier to accomplish than over-coming an addiction.  When I finally admitted that I was an addict, I also finally realized I needed the support I found here.

Glad you are here!  Congrats on 4 days!

awken

the things I take away from the book are about facing the fact I am an addict and that once the nicotine is out of your body it's the addict inside trying to talk You into just one , and it will do nothing for you so why bother , it won't taste good , it won't help with any long term crave , you will just want another one in a half an hour and you will break your quit and have to start again . I am only early in this quit , but I am already thinking ahead because I know the inside addict will be trying to get his way soon enough and I will be ready and I will be strong , stronger that any quit attempt before !  

TW517

Good for you!  Even though I read that, it took awhile to sink in for me.  Earlier today, I wrote that, "a crave never killed anyone".  Although I have to admit, in the early days of my quit, I was pretty sure I was gonna be the first fatality due to craves .

BHnCA

That’s what I thought on my 2nd day when trying everything to get thru a particularly tough urge I actually chewed my pencil in half! Not deliberately of course.  Every time I feel like I’m going to slip I think back to that experience, because I don’t EVER want to have to start another quit and feel that way again. 

MichelleDiane

JAA13, I identify with what you are feeling.  When I started this current quit I didn't want to use the patch as I did last quit, but then I rethought that and felt that I learned something from the last time.  When I was done with the last  7mg patch I did not keep in mind that I may be feeling  a little unsettled at the time because the nicotine was now at zero.  Having said that I can tell you that I gave into the anger and frustrations and smoked.  After a couple of weeks I began my journey again.  I decided not to use the highest dosage and am now on the 7mg patch with one week left on it.  This time I am fully aware of the reaction my brain is going to have and am prepared to work through the anger and frustration with all of the changes I've made in my life.  Each person is different and you need to follow what you feel is best.  Remember to keep it simple and take it one day at a time what ever method you choose.

Regards,

Michelle